What is it?

Guest Ominojacu

Guest Ominojacu

I have this thing growing in my tank. It started off looking some what like a mushroom, then the edges curled up and filled with air/gas? it continued to grow more lobes the whole thing was a gold color, hollow and and filled with air or gas. recently it broke off the rock and floated to the surface. I picked it up and it was a semi ridged structure, like thin plastic. I don't know if I should try and attach it to a rock or remove it, so for now it's just floating. First I thought it was a sponge, but I haven't seen any decriptions that match it. My wife has my camera at her work so I don't have any pictures, I am hoping someone can tell me what it is from the description, it grew from nothing to about four inches in diameter in about two months.

I have this thing growing in my tank. It started off looking some what like a mushroom, then the edges curled up and filled with air/gas? it continued to grow more lobes the whole thing was a gold color, hollow and and filled with air or gas. recently it broke off the rock and floated to the surface. I picked it up and it was a semi ridged structure, like thin plastic. I don't know if I should try and attach it to a rock or remove it, so for now it's just floating. First I thought it was a sponge, but I haven't seen any decriptions that match it. My wife has my camera at her work so I don't have any pictures, I am hoping someone can tell me what it is from the description, it grew from nothing to about four inches in diameter in about two months.

Bubble algea?

without a picture we can all only expeculate

But its so much more fun to just speculate :)

More speculation: I've seen red and green bubble algea, so perhaps its very thin red bubble algea that with the right lighting looks gold? (ya, probably a stretch)

On second thought, it could be an elaborate escape mechanism constructed by one of your invertebrates. Luckily you foiled the plan before it could be put in action!!

On second thought, it could be an elaborate escape mechanism constructed by one of your invertebrates. Luckily you foiled the plan before it could be put in action!!

I vote for this one! :)

Guest Ominojacu

I vote for this one! :)

Thanks, everyone, I hadn't considered bubble aglae because it is much different then the little green Valonia type which are also present. I did some searching on bubble aglae and found it, it is a Colpomenia sinuosa. here is a link. Under the right lighting it glows, and is a very attractive addition to the tank, unfortunetly mine has all broken away, maybe it will grow back heres a link to what they look like, mine was very similar to this picture:

http://www.horta.uac.pt/species/Algae/Colp...nia_sinuosa.htm