sand question

phisigs79

I am getting ready to move my 55g and move everything into my 75g inwall setup and need to add more sand to the 75g. I figured I have about 50lbs in the 55g and to get a 4 inch bed i need about 140lbs. I am going to buy about 90lbs of the yardright tropical sand and I was wondering if there would be a issue of laying down the new sand and then putting the sand from the 55g on top of it?

No help with your question although it sounds like the correct way to do things, but where did you find the Tropical play sand? And is that what it says on the bag - exactly? Yardright Tropical Play Sand also, have you done the vinegar test? - Many thanks - George

I'll tell you if you pick me some up! Southern States in Manassas and I asked them if they had it and they said yes. Its 40lbs for $3.50. Dont go buy it all before i get there

chris, you can add the sand on top but i would expect the tank to cycle again.

I would take the sand from the 55 add it to the new tank. set the 55 back up bare bottom until the new tank is ready. YOu saw what happen to folta when he moved everything over from his 55 to 180. I think you will be better off if you set the 55 back up. It happened to me when i moved my stuff over from the 75 to a 180. Lost alot of corals.

just my 2 cents.

I was planning on get some new sand and adding that plus all the sand from the 55g and putting some of the live rock in the 75g and setting up the 55g (barebottom) with my fish and corals until I feel comfortable with the water parameters before i bring them over to the 75g.

I moved from a 55 to a 125, kepping the sand and adding more. I rinsed the new sand and put it in first - I figured I'd rather have the beasties in my live sand on top, then they would populate the bottom. Worked fine for me.

Part of the the issue is: how long has your 55 been set up? If it is more than a year I would not transfer much of the old sand. If you do use all of the old sand, you are bringing with it all the phosphate and nitrates in the sand. I think a better way to do it is fill your new tank with 130 lbs of new sand and then add 10 lbs of the sand from the top layer of the old tank to seed the new sand.