Blank's 40 Breeder :)

blank

Well It actually has been about 3 weeks since I set this tank up but I only kept track on another forum. 

Equipment

1 x EcoTech Vortech MP10wQD
1 x Aqueon 700 
1 x Mag 7 Return Pump
1 x Hydra 52 (Non-HD) w/Controller + Classical AI Mount
1 x Kessil a360we + Gooseneck + Controller
1 x Kessil a160we + Gooseneck
1 x Eshopps Eclipse L Overflow
1 x Eshopps PSK-100h
1 x Aqueon Proflex Model 1 Sump (11ish Gallons)
1 x Open top Fluval Edge 12 (Had it in the shed and it happened to be the same height as the breeder) 
1 x Aqueon 40 breeder from Petco Dollar per Gallon! :D
2 x Eshopps Felt Socks
Livestock + Rock and stuff.....
x Amount of dry rock I collected over the year or so. 
x Amount of sand I collected over the year or so (Both Sand and Rock were nuked before being used)
About a pound of Greatwave Engineering's Biohome Ultimate Media
1 x Marinepure Ceramic Media

***Various Corals, 2x Clowns, 1x Bangai Cardinal, 1x lawnmower blenny, 3x anemone (2 very small) in a holding tank until I can slowly start adding them***

Chemicals and Stuff
This tank will use only AquaForest products pretty much.  (Awesome stuff)

I have been dosing Bio S along with Aquavitro seed (Had it left over) for about a week and pretty much it was "done" cycling in a day or 2. I did the shrimp method.. but instead of shrimp I used to silversides I had from feeding anemones. 

Oh man, the only problem I had was with the Eshopps Eclipse L overflow. The first one I had leaked from the middle overflow so I had to take it out and ask DrFoster&Smith for a replacement. They have AWESOME customer service though :) Live chat is great. Got it in 2 days and worked flawlessly. For the price, I think it's fantastic. The large is 3 drains, 2 bulkheads that drains to the overflow box. It's pretty much completely silent. I have Herbie setup  and I can't hear it drain at all. (granted I have 2 expensive as H-E-double hockey sticks Sears Gate valves >.>) 

post-2636237-0-94729600-1475454647_thumb.jpg

Excuse the mess. Need to clean up the wiring and etc. Still setting up and etc. Had to use that stand because it matches our actual TV stand that's perpendicular to this. It works though just a bit messy for my liking. 
My water flow goes Display -> Sump, Fuge Tank -> Sump,  Sump -> Fuge and Display. Also not the greatest, but it works. 

Man my lighting plan is a mess currently, although I like it a lot. I'm going to have the Hydra 52 on the right side of the tank for my SPS and a Kessil a360we on the left for my softies and LPS. My original plan was a360we in the middle, a160we on the left and Hydra 52 on the right but after lighting it all up, it was sort of overkill on the softies. So my plan now is to sell my a160we and grab http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/t5-ho-miro-4-retrofit-kit-let-lighting.htmlone of these babies and hook it onto the AI Mount. I spent awhile trying to decide what retrofit I wanted but apparently these are pretty good :). LET reflectors are apparently identical to  ATI according to someone I talked to on another forum which is pretty much the most important part of the fixture. My first choice one of the the Giesemann retrofit fixtures but this is cheaper and people are saying the LET ones are just as good so. :).
But yeah. this is it :D so far. I'm adding more rock  (rock inside the holding tank right now) so but I'd love some ideas on better rockscapes.. I always sucked at aquascaping. 

post-2636237-0-47227900-1475454673_thumb.jpg

This is definitely not the scape I'm using but the plan is to have a tonga branch like that for the sps :) and like.. a stairway L thing to the left. We'll see. 
Thanks for reading! :)

• 2 weeks later...

62970f53f04433329712aedc6a145545.jpg

Tank update, everything is looking good. It has been about 2 weeks now since everything was added. Lots of new polyps and great extension. A Reefer on the forum told me about the hamster ball to hold chaeto.. greatest idea ever. No more Chaeto in my power heads and plumbing :)

e246d9d7a473f1259f2031b9ed993ab3.jpg

0c2d443070f00276b98cb14fc70ed49e.jpg

6f55b258b1c61d292f384b1e96fddf33.jpg

40b2156d190aba8d11b15bc997547cc3.jpg

02fd1344f9cdc7032ed2d5c0ab237eda.jpg

17ff274260ed767d102ee494c2f587f6.jpg

72efd11f396e38dcbf726caf8a988d83.jpg

a310c3a60438fa50f82c3e1bcce2d5d7.jpg

Haven't messed around with Hydra settings to kinda match my Kessils yet :/

Looking good and a hamster ball?  Might have to try that out, I've been having issues with my chaeto overflowing to the return section of my sump on the Reefer 170 which you've seen  :happy: Any issues with chaeto growth in the hamster ball?

Looking good and a hamster ball?  Might have to try that out, I've been having issues with my chaeto overflowing to the return section of my sump on the Reefer 170 which you've seen  :happy: Any issues with chaeto growth in the hamster ball?

Haha yeah! Lots of growth still. The chaeto was going into my overflow and started to clog it a big which made me nervous when I remembered someone telling me about putting it in a hamster ball. It's pretty great because my powerhead rotates it and every side gets a pretty even amount of lighting! :) Pretty easy to remove the chaeto too. There's a small hole that you twist to open, grab a chunk, and close it up! Clean and easy. 

That hamster ball idea is awesome!  I will have to try that.  I think i would want to drill more holes in it but awesome idea for sure.

I was thinking about doing the same, but no detritus was building up and they seem to be doing good so I passed! Let me know how yours work though :D