Trigger bouyancy problem

mutley29

Evening all

My female Blue Throat trigger is giving me cause for concern :(

P4096966.jpg

over the last couple of days she has been swimming about the tank predominantly on her sides, she is eating well, as the pair always have. She has no visible signs of stress, swelling, inflamation, loss of scales nothing.

She seems to be spending more time than usual resting in between the rocks.

Would this be characteristic of a swim bladder problem?

I've read somewhere that kidney infections can cause problems with the swim bladder as well as bacterial, viral, fungal, parasitic and cancer, or even air trapped in the fish, and she does seem to prefer the food that rises to the surface as not many of my other inmates/tankmates bother with the stuff headed to the overflow.

The only sort of remedy to bladder problems i have found is feeding them a Pea, fibre i suppose, works wonders

Am i missing something really obvious

Any help/info/advice appreciated

Anton 60da41b7.gif

That's something i hadn't considered at all to be honest Jake

These guys are supposed to reach between 9 - 12" in length, the pair i have are around 7 - 8" so thought they were juvenile.

John at BRK gave me a little nudge as i was on the fence as to whether to buy them, i had them on my fish wish list for the new tank, but was leaning more toward a large Carberry Anthias harem, i haven't regretted the purchase at all, they are beautiful fish with ton's of personality and character, which is why this is bothering me, she doesn't appear to be in distress and as i said earlier she is still eating heartily

Thanks for the info, i'll try dig up some info on it

Anton

My two cents after reading a bit on swimming sideways at wetwebmedia - sounds like swim bladder problem/infection.

Guest Ominojacu
(edited)

My two cents after reading a bit on swimming sideways at wetwebmedia - sounds like swim bladder problem/infection.

Swim bladder disease can be hard to treat, I have successfully treated it in fresh water goldfish and Betta's. In most cases it caused by and impaction blocking the swim bladder. An impaction is usually the result of feeding flakes or pellets that expand after they hit the water. To cure it, feed green peas for a couple of days this generally adds enough fiber to loosen the blockage. after a week if there is no improvement try to starve out, and feed nothing for a week. If that doesn't work repeat until it does. I have a Betta that my wife was feeding flakes to and it took three months of this before it recovered, flakes are evil!!

In the event of an actual infection the peas will help but your chances of recovery are 50/50

Edited by Ominojacu

Swim bladder disease can be hard to treat, I have successfully treated it in fresh water goldfish and Betta's. In most cases it caused by and impaction blocking the swim bladder. An impaction is usually the result of feeding flakes or pellets that expand after they hit the water. To cure it, feed green peas for a couple of days this generally adds enough fiber to loosen the blockage. after a week if there is no improvement try to starve out, and feed nothing for a week. If that doesn't work repeat until it does. I have a Betta that my wife was feeding flakes to and it took three months of this before it recovered, flakes are evil!!

In the event of an actual infection the peas will help but your chances of recovery are 50/50

I read the same. If it is infection, just try to keep water/environment in really good condition. Are there any anti-bacterials, etc. anyone could recommend for QT treatment?