T5 bulb combo

gudgreef

I plan on getting a Tek T5 8 bulb set up but wasn't sure what combination of bulbs to get. I like a 'bright' (10K XM) look more than a bluer (14K) look. I found a great 'bulbs included' price with horticulture bulbs but offering the following upgrades.

D-D Giesemann Midday: $6.00 per lamp

D-D Giesemann Aquablue: $8.00 per lamp

D-D Giesemann Pure Actinic Plus or True Actinic $10.00 per lamp

D Giesemann Blue Actinic Plus or Blue: $6.00 per lamp

If anyone with T5's has any imput on what combo they have used or seen for an 8 lamp set up I would love to hear from you.

thanks

tom

I plan on getting a Tek T5 8 bulb set up but wasn't sure what combination of bulbs to get. I like a 'bright' (10K XM) look more than a bluer (14K) look. I found a great 'bulbs included' price with horticulture bulbs but offering the following upgrades.

If anyone with T5's has any imput on what combo they have used or seen for an 8 lamp set up I would love to hear from you.

thanks

tom

Tom,

I've got 4x54W T5 setup with Giesemann 2 Aquablues and 2 Pure Actinic bulbs. Looks really good. I tried one Midday 6000k bulb and it was too yellow for my taste. You should get the same result with an 8 light setup - just more PAR.

-Rob

Tom,

I have the 6x39w fixture over my 65g. I had the same problem as Rob.....the daylight bulbs were too yellow. The aquablue bulbs, while looking like blue bulbs, are actually very bright and give a good white look. I would recommend looking at others tanks that have the aquablues before spending the money on the daylight bulbs.

Steve

I have an 8 bulb setup (well was 8 T5s)... I did 2 of each initally (on 3 banks): 2 actinics, 2 banks of one each... I then replaced one of the actincs with a URI VHO actinic, and one of the daylights with a blueplus. This is the look I have now and I really like it.

The daylights give you better growth, but you give up something in color.

The URI VHO actinic blows away the ATI (Geismann) actinic, if you are DIYing it definitly go with a URI VHO actinic bulb in there somehow.

Dave

thanks

tom

May i ask where you are purchasing from?

i am window shopping right now for a setup also.

bryan

It's a company called Seeds Etc., mainly horticulture stuff but also a good bit of aquarium products. The Tek 8 lamp T5 setup with Gieseman bulbs is a hair under $500 shipped. Anyone knowing of a better deal, let me know :biggrin:

Have you checked out Johnny at BRK? I'm getting his complete retro kit 4x39w 3' T5 for just over $225 which includes ballast, reflector and end caps!

As for bulb combos I would go with the aquablue and blue+.

Good luck. BTW, Champion Lighting is now selling T5 setups too.

Chris