Hmm! interesting variation of the same sps coral

flooddc

The two in front are from the same frag as the one in the back and yet they all look totally different even though they are in the same tank and really close to each other. I know coral looking different in ever tank and also depending on lighting, but this is quite interesting.

acro_zps5pn8hu3f.jpg

It's hard for me to tell from a picture exactly what you're seeing.  It looks like the coral on the left has poor PE, localized color loss, and less growth.  The frag on the right (and the coral in the back) both look to have moderate PE, good coloration, and good growth.

I've seen genetically-identical corals (as in two frags from the same coral) look different when they have different light and flow.  But the two corals in the front of your picture look like they're only a few inches apart.  Are conditions significantly different due to something like a tank brace casting shadows, or direct flow from a powerhead?  Did you touch the left coral just before taking the picture?

Based only on what I see in this single picture, I would look very carefully at the left coral for a pest.  I would look first for red bugs, and then for AEFW.  It could be I'm missing the boat entirely, but I would double-check.

SPS are so strange.  Growth patterns and colors look different.  Cool.

yes they are  :happy:

It's hard for me to tell from a picture exactly what you're seeing.  It looks like the coral on the left has poor PE, localized color loss, and less growth.  The frag on the right (and the coral in the back) both look to have moderate PE, good coloration, and good growth.

I've seen genetically-identical corals (as in two frags from the same coral) look different when they have different light and flow.  But the two corals in the front of your picture look like they're only a few inches apart.  Are conditions significantly different due to something like a tank brace casting shadows, or direct flow from a powerhead?  Did you touch the left coral just before taking the picture?

Based only on what I see in this single picture, I would look very carefully at the left coral for a pest.  I would look first for red bugs, and then for AEFW.  It could be I'm missing the boat entirely, but I would double-check.

No pest on the left coral! It's always been that way for over a year. Little or no PE. Here's a kicker, when I first bought the original frag, it's was all green. If they were in different level of the tank or different area of the tank, then I wouldn't be too surprised.  This hobby give you all sort of surprises huh!

No pest on the left coral! It's always been that way for over a year. Little or no PE. Here's a kicker, when I first bought the original frag, it's was all green. If they were in different level of the tank or different area of the tank, then I wouldn't be too surprised.  This hobby give you all sort of surprises huh!

Glad to hear it!