Air bubbles in reef tanks

Just a quick question .......

do you want air bubbles from either powerheads or skimmers in reef tanks in great amounts???

i cant seen to resource any info off the net on this subject and was just wondering if this is good or bad for

my tank?

right now i just have the rock with some mobile inverts.

Thanks!

bryan

I think they are an eye sore. I know seahorse can ingest them. They just make the tank look hazy or cloudy. My power head pump out a few bubbles every once and a while but they dissipate quickly.

maybe someone else can chime in as well.

I think they are an eye sore. I know seahorse can ingest them. They just make the tank look hazy or cloudy. My power head pump out a few bubbles every once and a while but they dissipate quickly.

maybe someone else can chime in as well.

Rocko,

thanks for the speedy response!

my main reason for asking is to help break loose the surface film i have ask about in the past.

Thanks again for all youre help

Bryan

Hey Bryan, you should have power head pointed or aimed at the surface to creat a ripple. Not a huge ripple just enough so the water is not flat. That will allow gases to exscape better. Plus you won't get that film.

one of my returns is right at the surface and make ripples plus i have one of the power heads hitting the surface as well.

Hey Bryan, you should have power head pointed or aimed at the surface to creat a ripple. Not a huge ripple just enough so the water is not flat. That will allow gases to exscape better. Plus you won't get that film.

one of my returns is right at the surface and make ripples plus i have one of the power heads hitting the surface as well.

Breaking the surface is key. if you allow the gas to escape/exchange then in turn you are allowing the O2 to more easily re-oxygenate the water. if you have healthy dissolved O2 levels then there is not really a need for air pumps or inj.

Sean

Guest Ominojacu

Just a quick question .......

do you want air bubbles from either powerheads or skimmers in reef tanks in great amounts???

i cant seen to resource any info off the net on this subject and was just wondering if this is good or bad for

my tank?

right now i just have the rock with some mobile inverts.

Thanks!

bryan

Micro bubbles are annoying, and bad in the sense that they can block light or diffuse it, basically anything that comes between your corals and your lighting is something to avoid. A high oxygen level is a good thing however, it removes ammonia, and is used by corals, sponges etc. The micro bubbles are usually caused by the skimmer, you can try to put nylon or some other matterial over the outlet to diffuse the bubbles, but I can't say that has worked for me. My nano skimmer is in a filter compartment on my nano cube, and There are two things that worked for me, one, placing a powerhead there to break up the bubbles before the water gets sucked through the outlet. The second thing was using a tapering outlet tube, this had the effect of squeazing the bubbles out of the water.