BrownMarc's 40 Breeder Build

Decided to do a Build Thread on this tank as I think it will be a great learning experience and I have plenty of time on my hands at work to do so lol :tongue:

This tank is going to pretty much be the focal point of the whole apartment so it has to look as clean as possible. Accomplishing this might be a little tricky as I will be going with HOB applications in order to avoid any flooding my apartment. As of right now I have the tank stand and lights. Will be picking up a skimmer and two power heads by the end of the week.

Equipment: (Will always be updated)

Sand: Thinking about going with Natures Ocean black sand. I am little worried that black sand might be magnetic but this Natures Oceans version really has some high reviews. Has anyone experience this issue at all? I have heard people complain that you can see when detritus builds up but I believe I can avoid this by sifting the sand when I do water changes. 

black-beach.jpg

Tank: I am sure you know this already but I write it just in case you don't lol. This is a 40 gallon Breeder tank. I guess I should run this pas you everyone to see what you think. Is black sand and painting the back of the tank black to much black lol? Do you think this will make the tank to dark?

Stand: Is a 2x4 construction. Wish it was a little taller but at my height my armpits would be soaked every time I needed to do maintenance so Ill just have to sit down to look at it lol. The stand will be covered with MDF and accessible on three sides. Looking for the best pull away door magnets I can find at the moment. I just want them to last, any suggestions? Thinking about painting the stand a high gloss grey or red I haven't really decided. I guess it will depend on if either one of those colors get rejected by the warden lol.

Lights and Light Stand: Just purchased a Galaxy Hydro 165 full spectrum led from a fellow Wamas member thanks Denis. It will be main light for now. I am considering going with a conduit stand that will be painted in the same color as the stand. I fell this is fitting as the MDF will give the tank an overall ADA style look (or at least that's what I am going for). 

Skimmer: Will update once purchased

Powerheads: Will update once purchased

Heater: Will update once purchased

Creatures

Fish: I am still working on a fish list. At first I wanted to go with a Dwarf Fuzzy Lion fish but I think I am right under his minimum tank size and I am worried about reef compatibility. I do know that the fish are defiantly going to have a real pop of color. I don't want them to be washed out with the black sand but with that said doesn't every color pop with black sand lol. I am totally open to suggestions. More so interested in choosing a focal point fish and then building the list around it. Also I want to go with a really small fish list and I am more concerned with corals then fish.

Corals: I want to try and do a mixed reef here. So a little bit of everything. I am sure this area will grow as I grow in this hobby and learn more.

Nice! Following along. 

I've used that same black sand in almost all of my tanks, and I'm a big fan. I don't think it shows detritus any more than white does, but it seems to blend more with the rocks, makes the corals and fish really pop, and isn't a huge focal point like a bright white sand bed can be.
It is a bit magnetic; just don't dive your mag scraper into the sand and it'll be fine. Even if you do just take it out and brush it off, as it only ever picks up a few grains. You would have to worry more with an acrylic tank than glass, but I think it's worth it. 

Even with a black background I think it'll look awesome. Dwarf fuzzy would be more than fine for life in that tank, depending on what other tankmates you have planned. As far as compatibility, they make great reef inhabitants, you just have to watch what CUC you add. Nothing that can fit in it's mouth (and nothing it will attempt to fit in it's mouth lol). 

Nice! Following along. 

I've used that same black sand in almost all of my tanks, and I'm a big fan. I don't think it shows detritus any more than white does, but it seems to blend more with the rocks, makes the corals and fish really pop, and isn't a huge focal point like a bright white sand bed can be.

It is a bit magnetic; just don't dive your mag scraper into the sand and it'll be fine. Even if you do just take it out and brush it off, as it only ever picks up a few grains. You would have to worry more with an acrylic tank than glass, but I think it's worth it. 

Even with a black background I think it'll look awesome. Dwarf fuzzy would be more than fine for life in that tank, depending on what other tankmates you have planned. As far as compatibility, they make great reef inhabitants, you just have to watch what CUC you add. Nothing that can fit in it's mouth (and nothing it will attempt to fit in it's mouth lol). 

Yea that was my other concern with the Dwarf Fuzzy Especially with the tank not being big enough to hold bigger fish. Thanks a ton for your input on the sand. Its always great to hear that someone has success with what your attempting to do.

Happy Easter Sunday Everyone,

Just a small update! I ordered the sand and it will be here tomorrow hopefully lol and picked up two WP-10's (thanks Mike aka haha.brooks) for the tank which I think will more then enough flow. Also does anyone know how to update a post that you wrote? I want to add to my equipment list but cant figure out lol.

Alright so I picked up a Protein Skimmer yesterday (Thanks DCReefer1964) and the sand arrived a few days ago. I have to order some more sand as I stupidly only ordered 20 pounds. When I got home I put the protein skimmer on the back of the tank and immediately hated the way it looked. It will not give me that ADA look I am going for with all that stuff hanging on the back :mad: . So I am scraping the whole HOB thing and going with a sump. Luckily I have an older AquaC Skimmer in my closet just begging to be used. Now I just have to research how to drill the tank and setup for an overflow that is quiet and and has some fail safes. Hmmmmmm Herbie. IDK. HELP!!!!! lol

Would an overflow box be out of the question to avoid drilling? I'm sure drilling is a better option, doesn't look too hard either, but if you're hesitant or don't have the tools, you could do that too. :happy:

Would an overflow box be out of the question to avoid drilling? I'm sure drilling is a better option, doesn't look too hard either, but if you're hesitant or don't have the tools, you could do that too. :happy:

Yea I thought about that to but I figure If I am going with a sump then I might as well go all the way and drill it lol

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone wanted to give a small update. I have been crazy busy at work with my new position. It has me traveling from now until August since it is my busy season. Tank wise not much has changed. Finally picked up at a 20 gallon long aquarium to turn into a sump. Will be ordering some baffles next week and I decided to go with a coast to coast style overflow setup with BEANANIMAL realness :cool: . Got some work done to the stand earlier this week. Ill paint it and hopefully get it wrapped next weekend when I get back from NJ. On another note I have been looking at protein skimmers and haven't really found one the will work for the sump. I am more concerned with the amount of space in the first chamber so I need to find something with a small footprint but pulls a nice dark skimmate and not green tea lol. If you have any suggestions I am all ears :tongue: . I did find a AquaC EV120 in my closet that I picked up a couple years ago but with its external pump it takes up more room than I am comfortable with. Attached are some pictures of the tank and stand. Really the only thing that has changed with the stand is I added a piece of plywood to the bottom and leveled the whole thing. Will silicone the edges, seal and paint the sump area hopefully this weekend.

post-2633938-0-22364500-1463157900_thumb.jpg

post-2633938-0-88028000-1463157997_thumb.jpg

post-2633938-0-75406900-1463158076_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey

Hey everyone wanted to give a small update. I have been crazy busy at work with my new position. It has me traveling from now until August since it is my busy season. Tank wise not much has changed. Finally picked up at a 20 gallon long aquarium to turn into a sump. Will be ordering some baffles next week and I decided to go with a coast to coast style overflow setup with BEANANIMAL realness :cool: . Got some work done to the stand earlier this week. Ill paint it and hopefully get it wrapped next weekend when I get back from NJ. On another note I have been looking at protein skimmers and haven't really found one the will work for the sump. I am more concerned with the amount of space in the first chamber so I need to find something with a small footprint but pulls a nice dark skimmate and not green tea lol. If you have any suggestions I am all ears :tongue: . I did find a AquaC EV120 in my closet that I picked up a couple years ago but with its external pump it takes up more room than I am comfortable with. Attached are some pictures of the tank and stand. Really the only thing that has changed with the stand is I added a piece of plywood to the bottom and leveled the whole thing. Will silicone the edges, seal and paint the sump area hopefully this weekend.

attachicon.gif20160510_193017.jpg

attachicon.gif20160512_220010.jpg

attachicon.gif20160510_195021.jpg

Hello,

The stand looks great! What are the dimensions? I am going to be building a stand like this too for a 40 breeder.

Thanks!