OH CRAP%^*

dmward99

Hello fellow reefers. I am wondering if there is someone here in the club that can reglue or put sealant around the top of my tank?I have had the tank for a while and now the top sealant is leaking every now and then.I know I need to replace but don't have the money at this time.It is probaly much cheaper to reseal the top of my tank since that is the only place its leaking.Also I am wondering if this can be done if I took out have the water in the tank and left everthing in it?I am not good at DIY since I tried to fix the problem before but it didn't work out :eek: PLease helpppppppppppppp!!

see wetwebmedia.com. They have a whole section of FAQ's dealing with this issue.

Its an in wall 125.The 6 foot long by 22" high size.Needs to be 72" X22"H to fit ,Width doesn't matter I can go larger here if need be.Looking for just a tank UP TO $300 range if I have to purchase.RR if possible.If I have to buy a new tank I will sale my old tank to someone for cheap.Maybe they can fix it and use it for a sump or beginner tank or something.Its heavy may need a few guys to lift.I needed 4.I am crossing my fingers that I won't have to buy a new tank at this moment.

Ok since no responses can someone tell me if I am correct in purchasing any 100% silicone sealent from the home depot to try an fix my leaking tank Or is there a special type I need?

Home Depot as well as Lowes carry an acrylic weldon or silicone for aquariums. you may be able to use that if it is only for glue parts without stress points. otherwise you need weldon #40 or better to keep pieces tight together. good luck.

OK thank you.I do have some aquarium sealant from petco will this work? If not I will try the weldon.

I don't understand what about the "top" of the tank is leaking? Do you have a crack, or is a corner coming apart? Is your tank acrylic or glass, if glass is the frame busted or is glass cracked.

Weldon will only work on an acrylic tank, and I would NOT use it if the tank has any water in it at all. The product isn't a glue so much as it melts the acrylic and fuses the two peices togeather. I would expect this to weaken the rest of the joint and risk having the tank fall apart if done under pressure.... 3/4 of a ton with a tank that size!!

Good news so far.I have given the tank another application of silicone and it sems to be holding fine. :bounce: .I will repost if it fails.

• 3 weeks later...