Ozone and purigen

JC Pollman

I have been running purigen for several years and, generally, am quite happy with it. Unfortunately, I have had to swap it out about every week as it is usually completely changed color/exhausted by that time.

I added an ozone generator to the tank about a month ago. Seems to be working well - at least as good as advertised. I continued running the purigen as usual, and now, a month later, the purigen is as white as the day I put it in. So I guess the ozone is doing its thing.

Cautionary note: you really should run the water coming out of the ozone reactor/skimmer through activated carbon, not to remove excess ozone - which is unlikely - but ozone will create bromide bleach which will cause serious problems with your livestock. In most cases, purigen is a better product than activated carbon, but it will not handle bleach of any kind - so this is one of the few times that activated carbon is better. Between the ozone and the activated carbon, I just might put the purigen back in its container for future use.

another note about purigen......make sure filter mesh bag is shut and can not open...little white beads go everywhere. Did not....should not kill any fish if they swallow some but still not a good idea. If you do get some in the tank, the best way to clean them up is to attach a quick filter to the powerheads in the main tank. the beads will stick to the filter media and all will be happy again.

I've been using Perigen for about a month now...a 100ml bag in 72g discus tank and 250 ml in "the bag" in 120g reef. I've had to regenerate the 100ml bag in the discus tank after about a month...but my reef bag is still a light yellow. Both bags are positioned in my sump in a "high flow" area. Any others here use this product? Would like some feed back if possible. It's doing it's job in the reef, but since I've never used carbon in my discus tank there is nothing to compare it to.