500+ day funk - not LARS

bvhtaz

506+ day funk - not 506+ day funk - not LARS

I have an25 gallon mixed reef cube that is 18 inches x 3 with a Kessil 360w, 75 watt heater, 680~ gph Koralia (250 and 400 something) with a canister filter that has been up over 500 days.

Parameters

========

80 degrees

1.026 SG

9.2 alk

420 calcium

1380 magnesium

Livestock

=======

Royal gramma

Bengai Cardinal

6 line wrasse

Coral

====

Mushrooms

Zoas, palys

Toadstool

Fingerleather

Frogspawn, hammer

Duncan

Acans

RFA

Monti

Cyphastrea

Blue ridge

Various snails

Brittle stars

Routine

======

Feed ROE, 1/4 cube frozen, oyster feast daily

Check temp & salinity daily

Scrape glass at least every other day

Test water parameters every week

20% water change every week

Clean canister EVERY week

Change carbon & GFO every month

I know, I know. So, most folks run a sump. This is my first foray into an aquarium. I read contentious aquarist and a lot of online material before I set up. I didn't do that because I didn't want the hassle or extra equipment. Also, I didn't understand the whole idea of nutrient export and tank volume.

In the past month, my short spines urchin started losing his needles and I have noticed GHA. I LOVED my urchin just because he was unstoppable.

Now I am in a bit of a funk and could use some advice about how to not fall into Lazy A** Reefer Syndrome and how to not get into a funk while caring for a tank. Maybe it's time I ran into an issue like GHA. I didn't have any issues setting up

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/351554-taz-25-gallon-rimless-cube/

Thanks, in advance :D

Nitrates .04 (Red Sea test kit)

Phos unk

I am running carbon and GFO. The way I have the canister it acts like a reactor.

I was feeding very little directly to the urchin. I noticed he DEVOURED the coralline and would scarf up an dried sea weed I put in the tank though I admit that was infrequent.

Okay, gotcha. My best guess is the urchin starved unfortunately. A 25g is a bit small to try and keep an urchin happy. If the GHA appeared after the urchin death, it might be your urchin had been taking care of any bits of algae that would appear (again, small tank, wouldn't take it long to scour the tank each day looking for new food).

But rereading your OP, you are looking for advice on how to get out of a funk with your tank. Is it that it has become a bit boring/a chore? I don't know, I seem to always have something going on, but I am pretty obsessed with my tanks.

Oh wow, do I feel guilty! Sheesh, I thought the urchin was great and noticed that it ate all my coralline. Ah that makes sense, it was mowing down algae and now there isn't anything doing that every day except snails. So, if I do more research is there a chance I could find a feeding regimen that would enable a healthy environment formN urchin?

It has me bummed that it died. I think I am trying to come up with what to focus on in the tank. There is plenty going on- now I get to battle a teeny bit of GHA, water testing every week, and trying to find the right balance of coral in the tank.

Would it be better to focus on the wiping out GHA and learn whether I could keep another urchin alive?

What do you focus on after the first year?

It happens, it is unfortunate it died, the important thing is you are learning and trying to do better. Snails are so lazy, especially when/if they figure out you overfeed, mysis/pellets are much more yummy than algae it seems.

My history with urchins isn't too good so I would have to say to get someone else to answer about spot feeding one. With that said, in my experience (IME) they prefer live algae, can get a bit picky about what kinds, can't just throw a ball of chaeto in (as far as I know haha, more to make a point) and call it a day (and I would not suggest that, chaeto falls apart and becomes A MESS).

I am not sure which to go with. My inclination is to say the algae. But I would begin research into the urchin soon.

My experience is with bigger tanks, so at a year in I was buying corals to fill my tank and finish stocking fish. I seem to always have some project going on, whether big or small. Maybe you should upgrade =P

Sorry to hear about your urchin that stinks  :/.    As for getting out of a funk, my recommendation is to make a swap in the tank to a theme.  This always helps me rejuvenate my passion for the hobby.

Since you have a kessil, I recommend doing something like a mushroom garden or zoa garden. These will do well under the kessil and should grow quick.

But some other ideas,

Damsel birdsnest thunder dome

Seahorses  (These need daily attention)

NPS and live eaters  (Will require you to cultivate pods and phyto)

Macroalgae forest

garden eel sanctuary (Need an 8 inch sand bed)

And there are lots more ideas out there.  Also, look for some nano build contests, this also may help motivate you.

I like the idea of working on the GHA and picking a theme.

Sthsolomon, what do you mean "since I have a Kessil?" I don't understand the inference. Thanks for the ideas on things to focus on. Great list.

I really like/Love coral, especially LPS like Acans.

I like the idea of working on the GHA and picking a theme.

Sthsolomon, what do you mean "since I have a Kessil?" I don't understand the inference. Thanks for the ideas on things to focus on. Great list.

I really like/Love coral, especially LPS like Acans.

the inference is that kessils grow mushrooms and zoas well. and your light is a kessil.....

• 2 weeks later...

I figured it out: operator error!

1-dead snail on a caulustrea causing tissue loss;

2-kessil left on 48 hours at ~15%;

3-bio media > 500 days old; and

4-not enough algae in the tank

Solutions:

1-Leave the timers,set up alone;

2-inspect tank every day for detritus & such;I

3-replace eheim pro with marine pure ceramic biomedia;

4-increase algae (nori) feelings for invertebrates.

Additionally, I have decided at least for the next phase of the tank, to focus on soft corals and a few LPS while I get the GHA under control and reach a new homeostasis.