Shipping Live Creatures

Squishie89

I have someone who wants me to send them some medusae from hydroids in my tank, go figure. I have never shipped anything like this (receiver is in the USA, so that's not a problem). I have all the materials, my concern is the actual shipping and rules that go with it. Do I need to let the carrier know that there is live creatures inside? Do I need to worry about any certain rules pertaining to sending live creatures? Help?

Fedex makes you send a trial shipment, if you want their permission to send live fish or corals. I did that, nothing too hard.

Many people just package really well and hope for the best without letting the carrier know.

I'm going to ship USPS, only 20 bucks for 2 day shipping. If they perish so be it, I have more hahaha. I am not going to label them as live animals and woe onto them if they want to try and find the little guys in the water and prove me wrong.

Thanks guys

After reading the various threads on R2R I wouldn't bother telling them when shipping every once and awhile. I would just pay extra attention and care packaging which would be the case regardless. Even more so if all you are shipping are some hydroids.

Someone want to experiment with your hydroids?

After reading the various threads on R2R I wouldn't bother telling them when shipping every once and awhile. I would just pay extra attention and care packaging which would be the case regardless. Even more so if all you are shipping are some hydroids.

Someone want to experiment with your hydroids?

Exactly. I am using a cooler box and a heat pack, going to do my best that they do make it there alive, but not too concerned.

Sort of, he wants them in his system as they are a component of an ecosystem. And he has helped me so happy to help.

I would avoid USPS .. I get weekly shipments .. sometimes from individuals .. one guy lived in VA, shipped me 10 heads of Frogspawn, it went to Arizona and came to me a week late .. dead, as you can imagine.  I only use FedEx generally. If you find someone with an account, you can get better rates.

I would avoid USPS .. I get weekly shipments .. sometimes from individuals .. one guy lived in VA, shipped me 10 heads of Frogspawn, it went to Arizona and came to me a week late .. dead, as you can imagine.  I only use FedEx generally. If you find someone with an account, you can get better rates.

I just can't justify the price when shipping hydroids haha. It would be a whole 'nother thing if I was shipping fish/coral/non pest inverts.