Filter sock placement

Jonathan's Reef

So, my sump came with a compartment for filter media like sponges or filter blocks, but I'd like to use a filter sock. Ideally, the sock should be below the level of the sump to allow for overflow, but if I do that, most socks would be sitting on the bottom and surely in the water. Is that a problem, or should I mount a filter sock higher up and put together some sort of walls to protect the stand from splash damage?

You want most of the filter sock under water. Socks come in different lengths (e.g. 4", 7") so you could always go with a shorter sock if your sump is pretty shallow. Also make sure the drain line from the DT is at least a couple inches under water to avoid loud splashing sounds. 

Huh! I always thought you wanted most of the filter sock out of the water so that the water had to drop through. 

Thanks for the info!

Water has to go through the sock regardless of placement above/below the sump's water line. However, if placed above the water line then it can splash everywhere which will be loud and possibly introduce air bubbles. I keep the top of the sock above the water to make sure it traps floating particles.