LPS Coral Concerns

WCorbin82

I ordered some corals online (Acans) and was a wysiwyg item. So I knew exactly what I was getting. When when the coral arrived it looked exactly like the picture in my tank for the first 2 days now it's not the same color Ana I've done nothing different. This is a really nice piece and I want it to color back up to be my center piece and main focus. Can anybody offer advice or help on why this could have happened . Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please give us your water parameters. Bonus if you have been tracking consistently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The lighting in your tank may be different than the light where the coral came from. Are you "light acclimating" the corals? That is important.

+1. Most likely lighting is the cause...I would try moving the coral under low light for first few days to give it some time to acclimate itself with the new lighting. Also, if possible find out about the lighting parameters from the vendor...perhaps that will give you some idea.

Here is first link I found after searching for it online.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=274

The lighting in your tank may be different than the light where the coral came from. Are you "light acclimating" the corals? That is important.

I didn't light acclimate. I have Radion XRW15 and how long should you acclimate them?

Please give us your water parameters. Bonus if you have been tracking consistently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't been tracking my water parameters which I know is bad so I'm gonna start this weekend I have Hanna checkers coming in for Cal and Alk and I can do nitrate test I'm just not big on testing smh but I know that's apart of reef keeping

+1. Most likely lighting is the cause...I would try moving the coral under low light for first few days to give it some time to acclimate itself with the new lighting. Also, if possible find out about the lighting parameters from the vendor...perhaps that will give you some idea.

Here is first link I found after searching for it online.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=274

Ok I will contact them to see what was this coral under. This coral is the only one that has done a color change. But I'm hoping once I get everything back to normal it will color back up.

Similar to humans, corals also need to acclimate to light. You wouldn't run out into the hot summer's sun for a full day after finishing up a winter being pasty white. Unfortuantly, there is no sunscreen for corals, other than acclimating from low light to strong light, or using tint, which some folks will do when switching to stronger par lighting, such as to T5. Although it could be light acclimation, which you should do with all corals (start low, work higher, or until you find a sweet spot,) it would still be helpful to have your water paramaters.

I don't know when you started your build, but according to your build thread, it was 11/14. There is A LOT going on in your tank for such a short period of time. Did you ever end up QT'ing your fish? The color might be lack of nutrients if you don't have any fish in your tank during a QT.

Some friendly unsolicited advice, start testing your water, and knowing your tank. Slow down on throwing in more corals and fish. Your tank looks really great, I'm glad you have some testing kits on the way.

Similar to humans, corals also need to acclimate to light. You wouldn't run out into the hot summer's sun for a full day after finishing up a winter being pasty white. Unfortuantly, there is no sunscreen for corals, other than acclimating from low light to strong light, or using tint, which some folks will do when switching to stronger par lighting, such as to T5. Although it could be light acclimation, which you should do with all corals (start low, work higher, or until you find a sweet spot,) it would still be helpful to have your water paramaters.

I don't know when you started your build, but according to your build thread, it was 11/14. There is A LOT going on in your tank for such a short period of time. Did you ever end up QT'ing your fish? The color might be lack of nutrients if you don't have any fish in your tank during a QT.

Some friendly unsolicited advice, start testing your water, and knowing your tank. Slow down on throwing in more corals and fish. Your tank looks really great, I'm glad you have some testing kits on the way.[/quote

You right I'm gonna slow up. I got addicted to getting corals and it took the best of me. My fish are ok for the moment even battling ick my yellow today has shown no signs. My clowns on the other had have it and my wrasse also. I lost a few fish to Ick. My plan is to let the tank go fish less for a month. Feeding heavily seems to cause more problems with nitrates. So along with my test kits that's coming in I also have a fish trap with that order coming as well. So I will treat the fish with copper for 30-45 days and let my tank go fish less for 30-45 days and starve out the ick killing them in the process. This will also let me seed the tank with pods which I wanted to do before but I jumped the gun. My other corals seem not to loose color just this one Acan and it happens to be the best darn Acan in the tank smh. So I lowered my intensity down to about 20% and I'm gonna also research more Radion users to see what they are doing. Thanks for the advice