Saltwater cycling in brute trash can

thakki

I have been cycling 80 lbs of dry pukani rock in a 32 gallon brute trash can for past 2-3 months. I changed the water two times in the first month and when I noticed that the water was clear of dead rock debris...I stopped water changes...later was busy and never bothered checking the water parameters. This weekend, my tank should be ready for water...I prepared 80 gallons of saltwater over last couple of days...the question I have is...should I re-use some of the water from the trash can where the rock was cycled into my new tank or just use the freshly prepared saltwater. I feel like re-using some of the water as it may have some beneficial bacteria...but again its not been tested and could be a nitrate pool. What do you suggest?

Edited by thakki

The level of bacteria in the water column is well below what's colonized in the rock. It's not necessary to reuse the old water, but it's doubtful that it would do much long term harm. I'd be more concerned about high accumulated phosphate levels than nitrates since the rock is cycled.

There is usually little to no beneficial bacteria in the water column. It mostly grows on STUFF. I would put it in fresh salt water to prevent any nutrients you have in the water in brute.

Thanks guys! I will not use any of the water from trash can. Need to make 20 more gallons over the weekend now. Cant imagine how big my water bill is going to be this month!!! 

Thanks guys! I will not use any of the water from trash can. Need to make 20 more gallons over the weekend now. Cant imagine how big my water bill is going to be this month!!! 

Water's cheap. Electricity is expensive. Better to focus attention there.

I would still run a test on the brute before transferring the rock to make sure I have zero ammonia and zero nitrites. But that's just me.

If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live. - Lin Yutang