Help - I little advice about raising tank temp

I just arrived at my fathers house in Washington state. I stick my finger in his FOWLR tank and notice it is cold as heck. It turns out the heater is broken. I go pick a new one up along with a thermometer. The tank is 70 degrees right now!!

Now for the advice...

I want to gradually increase the temp back to 79. How many degrees should I increase it per day?

Ben

I would just pop the heater on the setting you want to bring it up to. Unless it's a tiny tank, it will take a while to heat up anyways. Wouldn't over think this one.

(edited)

Umm. I keep my tank at 74.. Always did in Washington since it never gets extremely hot or cold on the peninsula... Depending on what corals he has I wouldn't necessarily turn it up to 79 if it's been broken for weeks/months

Edited by smallreef

I agree with both above posters.  If you want to up the temp, just put the heater in with it set at 79.  On the other hand, like Kim says, there is no reason you cannot have the tank at a slightly lower temp.

Yea if its been 70 this long then getting to 79 isn't that critical, its FOWLR so you can go lower if you want. The size of the tank compared to the wattage of the heater with factor into how fast the temp rises, as long as the heater is appropriately sized you shouldn't have to worry about any shock to the fish.

(edited)

I always love the temp advice. Everyone has an opinion. 79 is the temp my dad wants for his tank. His tanks has been very happy for over a decade at 79, so I'm thinking "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I did fix the heater though. Haha

I tossed in 2 100w heaters and called it a day. It took a little less than 24h to get it back up to 79. It doesn't seem to have stressed the fish.

Edited by Reefer_Madness