Finally have a new 90g!!..advice?

Dario5678

So I have a new reef ready 90 and a ten gallon tak with about 15 pounds of live roc in it with 2 clowns.  I am currently running my rodi to fill up the tank.  Once filled I will add salt and run water movers ( lol I can think of the right term).. and let the salt dissolve,  My question is...then what....I want to be able to get my 2 clowns in that tank as soon as possible with the live rock.  My sump is 30 gallons.  I plan to use my ten gallon as a quarantine.  Also..I plan to add more rock in the future...base rock or live rock (more expensive)...what kind of rock should I add if I am going to be adding rock periodically

(edited)

You will need to cycle the tank and measure results with a test kit before you add your livestock.

Edited by rrbigdog

If u want to speed up the process add dr tims cycle but bigdog is right u need to cycle your tank before u add the fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dario also add your location on your info so we know where your at lots of times you will be surrounded by members. I found out I have a member who lives a block from me he was very helpful and gave me lots of advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the rock you have cycled? If so, then it is OK to add the rock and 2 clowns into the 90. Go ahead and acclimate the clowns to the 90. Also, make sure you avoid the urge to buy more fish until you have enough live rock in there to sustain them. I prefer to add dry rock due to costs and avoiding pests. I have ended up with lots of hair algae buying "used" live rock as well. You could always buy live rock from a tank breakdown and run it through an acid bath. Look for rock in the for sale forum. You can often find really good deals from other WAMAS members. After you add more rock, then add fish slowly to give the bacteria a chance to keep up with the additional bio-load. 

Thanks all.  Yes the rock that I have now has been in the tank with the 2 clowns since December/January.  So when you all say cycle the tank..are you suggesting cycle the tank with what I have before adding additional fish?  Will the tank cycle again when I add the rock and the fish?...Ill add my location to my profile don't know why it isn't there.  but i'm Waldorf, MD...Thanks for the advice.

If you transfer the rock from one tank to another then you shouldn't see a cycle. Sometimes there can be a mini-cycle but if you keep the rock wet at all times you should be good. Even with a mini-cycle, the much larger water volume will dilute the little ammonia that could be produced unless there is a huge die off.