Temp fish home help needed

NightOwl

We are in process of closing on a home but I have a weeeee bit of problem that I hope some have faced before.  Currently we live in in Ashburn and plan on moving to MD sometime in June. The current home (Ashburn) we want to rent out but there is a fish tank in the wall (180) which means I have to fix the wall back to the original condition.  In the new home there will be a giant fish tank in the wall as well but the fish room has not been built nor has the tank been ordered.  My dry run of the size tank I wanted failed a month or so back so I have been updating my plans.   At some point I will need to shut down my current tank in Ashburn move fish to a temp home in MD and finish the fish room.  I have about 12 fish in the 180.  Should I look to buy a bunch of 10 or 20 gallon tanks and plumb them together temporarily or just one of those black containers I see people use for a sump until I finish all my construction and the new tank arrives and cycles.  In the past what have people done when in between two tanks?

What you describe as "one of those black containers" are rubbermaid stock tanks.  You order them through SouthernStates or TractorSupply.  This would by far be the easiest and most cost effective route IMHO.  The 100g tanks run about $80.  And the 150g tanks run about $150.  Plus, you can use it for sump, curing rock, transffering livestock if there's a problem with the DT, etc... or just resell it for a little less.  I would think that would be much easier than a "bunch of 10 or 20 gallon tanks". 

If you have the time I would set up the 150 tractor supply container and move the fish to MD. then once the new tank is cycled u can move them over.

Thanks!  I will stop by the tractor supply place in the next week or so.  I need to get the ball rolling on this soon!  I can frame out the room and walls to get a temp idea of where stuff needs to go and hopefully it will be less stress on the fish.

Shoot. Just put the tub off to the side and in a corner. Let the fish just hang out. Rig a top off system and an auto feeder and your golden until the new tank is ready to go.

Pls when u have the tub set up, you can bring the fish a few at a time and that will be less stress on you too

Very good point on bringing a few over at a time. On of my fish I have had since 2004 so would hate to loose him over stress. Will check the dimensions tonight and pick a corner:).

Also, consider making a screen top as the tubs are a little shallower than tanks usually and want to make sure your fish are safe...

Screen top is a must I have 5 wrasses I have seen dried jerky before and hopefully will be able to avoid it this go around :).

• 4 weeks later...

Screen top is a must I have 5 wrasses I have seen dried jerky before and hopefully will be able to avoid it this go around :)

+1 on the dry jerky