Water Filtration -- 4 or 6 Stage?

sen5241b

What is the difference between a 4 stage and 6 stage system? If the 4 stage delivers zero TDS why would I spend more on a 5 or 6 stage filtration system?

What are the systems you are comparing?  The most common is actually 5 stage.  4 is likely short a prefilter.  6 probably has a second DI cartridge.  This lets you completely exhaust the first canister while still producing 0 TDS water.  In the long run it can save a little money on resin.

There are lots of different configurations though so you'd have to link which systems you are comparing to really be able to tell.

What are the systems you are comparing?  The most common is actually 5 stage.  4 is likely short a prefilter.  6 probably has a second DI cartridge.  This lets you completely exhaust the first canister while still producing 0 TDS water.  In the long run it can save a little money on resin.

There are lots of different configurations though so you'd have to link which systems you are comparing to really be able to tell.

I am looking at this small filter as I only have a 20G Long:

4-stage Portable Reverse Osmosis RO Revolution Water Purification System, 75 GPD,

1st = 5 micron sediment filter

2nd = coconut activated carbon filter
3rd = TFC type reverse osmosis membrane. 95%-99% of total dissolved solids (TDS) 
4th = Premium US made T33 GAC post filter

I think GAC is a another carbon filter. If the RO membrane produces zero TDS why would you follow with another carbon filter?

+1

I have the brs 6 stage system which I love. And yeah difference between 4&6 is you get another carbon filter and an extra Di cartridge which like you said I get a little more use without having to change my resin as often. All the difference is would be don't have to change filters as often but when you do have to buy 2 extra's

It makes sense that it won't go to zero because there is no DI cartridge on that one.  The 4th stage is probably a taste and odor filter for drinking water, which you don't need for tank water.  So, that is really a three stage.  

Take a look at these.  If you can swing it, the first one is much more upgradable.  The second one wil do the job but is basically throw away if you ever need more.

http://theh2oguru.com/reefkeepers-rodi/compact-75-gpd-reefkeeper-rodi.html

http://theh2oguru.com/reefkeepers-rodi/mighty-mite-50gpd-with-di-added.html