Help in Increasing Calcium

Guest ethandvm

Guest ethandvm

My 120g reef tank is doing very well I have a number of LPS (mushroom/frogspawn/hammer/star polyps) I recently added two frags of SPS (from BRK) and I checked my calcium last night and it is 350. I have The Aqua C Calclim supplement that I add (also the alkalinity supplement). I want (or do I need) to get my calcim around 450. If I were to use a Kalkwasser product (Kent or other) can some recommend a safe way to add the calcium so I dont cause huge problems? Thanks for the input. :77:

My 120g reef tank is doing very well I have a number of LPS (mushroom/frogspawn/hammer/star polyps) I recently added two frags of SPS (from BRK) and I checked my calcium last night and it is 350. I have The Aqua C Calclim supplement that I add (also the alkalinity supplement). I want (or do I need) to get my calcim around 450. If I were to use a Kalkwasser product (Kent or other) can some recommend a safe way to add the calcium so I dont cause huge problems? Thanks for the input. :77:

do you know what your daily use of calcium is?

Hi there:

I don't have your answer completely, but I want to do the same thing.

Here's an excellent start for the details: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

I have been interested in the various posts that explain an inexpensive way to dose calcium too. This article goes even farther because it goes into further detail on how to create your own balanced additive.

Reefers- can you recommend supply stores, either local or on the web where these can be bought?

I was looking up sources for the PelaDow and Dowflake for calcium dosing on the net and tripped on the above article. Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks

Also, FWIW: You should visit Fins and Feathers for your next purchase...He's getting some beautiful clams in tomorrow, and has some great coral frags and colonies.

FF

Guest ethandvm

do you know what your daily use of calcium is?

No, I do not. I know that I add the recommended volume of Calcium supplement every 2-3 days (based on my tank size). If the daily use is calculated by how much I put in, then I guess my daily us is just that...?

No, I do not. I know that I add the recommended volume of Calcium supplement every 2-3 days (based on my tank size). If the daily use is calculated by how much I put in, then I guess my daily us is just that...?

to figure out the daily use rate in mg/l...raise it to a set level then monitor w/o adding anymore how quickly the level goes down and at what rate

to figure out the daily use rate in mg/l...raise it to a set level then monitor w/o adding anymore how quickly the level goes down and at what rate

if youre in warrenton swing by my shop, or BRK if its closer and Im sure that one of us can help you reached the dewsired levels and maintain with a good maintenamce dosing progtram to help you curb the use rate. if you come to my shop after 1230p this weekend and bring some water in a baggy, ill compare it with my test kits that I renew monthly.

Sean

I use driveway ice melter from Kmart or Walmart. I haven't found the Dow stuff locally.

$5.87 for a huge jug.

Just make ABSOLUTELY sure it is 100% calcium chloride. Follow the recipe in Dave's listed article, and make litttle additions, testing often until you get the feel.

Finding some of the stuff for the homemade 2-part at this time of year may be a little tough.

You can mailorder DOW flakes from Buckeye Field Supply (place listed in RHF's articleJ, a place called Home & Beyond by Polsteins has Peladow, and MAG flakes from harveysalt.com A couple of them only have 50 pound bags. I haven't done it yet - I want to make sure I'm going to stick with this method.