Not new but I think I made a newbie mistake

Cardiak21

So I got a 150g cube aquarium, did a fishless cycle using ammonia drops. Got the Amn to 0 and the Nitrites to 0 after a few weeks. Nitrates were at around 20 ppm. I decided to add some sand from my old tank to the refugium section of the sump on my new tank. Added some crushed coral rubble and base rock rubble to the refugium. I did a nitrate test two days later, nitrates jumped up to around 40ppm. Did a 25% water change. Tested again, still 40 ppm. After a few days did another 25% water change and tested today 60ppm!!!

Is the sand from my old tank a nitrate producer??? There is nothing alive (fish or creatures) in the tank, I added maybe 3 pieces of live rock (one rock did have some star polyps on it) from my old tank,  but the majority of it was dry to start. Every time I've started a new tank in the past, I've always done it from scratch without bring anything from a previous tank. 

Im super frustrated. Thank you for your help.

Yeah, your sand is probably the culprit, but I wouldn't stress 60 for nitrates, especially at the start. It could have been the dead rock with old organics in it also, either way, you can narrow down the contribution to either rock, or sand, so I'll ask you this: So what?

So long as your not getting nitrites or ammonia, you sound set. I would do a large water change and see how that does you, you will probably see them creep down. Just stock slow, and let that rock catch up!