Sand Bed

brcolli2

I am about to replace my sand bed, and wanted to see what substrate people recommend. I am leaning towards CaribSea dry aragonite special grade reef sand, at a depth of 1-2". Is this a good sand? Is there something out there that people feel is a better product? Also, do any of the vendors have this in stock? Thanks.

I gave up on trying to figure out what may be "best" a long time ago and started using what I liked visually instead. I went with black sand while I was in San Diego and loved how everything really popped next to it. 

I like the finer looking sand personally but if and when I do it again I would probably go BB or literally just enough to cover the glass, I did BB on my Biocube and loved it except for the clicking sound of my CuC running on the bottom of the glass, I had no idea crabs could be so noisy.

I dont think it really matters what sand you pick, as long as you're happy with it. 

I got the pavestone high desert play sand.

No issues whatsoever with silicate. I am skeptical of the doom and gloom claims i read about using HD sand in a reef tank. I have 150# of it in my system and see no ill effects.

I just couldn't stomach how much money i would have dropped to buy "aquarium sand." And since I am dosing, any benefit to aragonite dissolving is moot. Saving and using the HD sand made sense for me.

Edited by Jason Rhoads

I like the finer looking sand personally but if and when I do it again I would probably go BB or literally just enough to cover the glass, I did BB on my Biocube and loved it except for the clicking sound of my CuC running on the bottom of the glass, I had no idea crabs could be so noisy.

I dont think it really matters what sand you pick, as long as you're happy with it. 

I remember awhile back some discussion (perhaps Jimlin?) of some kind of thin, solid substrate with sand in a matrix (clear epoxy?) that gives the look of a sandbed without the concurrent potential issues. If I were re-doing a tank, I'd probably go bare-bottom or something like I just described, UNLESS I wanted to have fish that require a sandbed (jawfish, some wrasses, etc). Just a thought - no noisy crabs.  :tongue:

I remember awhile back some discussion (perhaps Jimlin?) of some kind of thin, solid substrate with sand in a matrix (clear epoxy?) that gives the look of a sandbed without the concurrent potential issues. If I were re-doing a tank, I'd probably go bare-bottom or something like I just described, UNLESS I wanted to have fish that require a sandbed (jawfish, some wrasses, etc). Just a thought - no noisy crabs. :tongue:

I remember this too. Was it sand glued to starboard?

So Jason I've seen your tank and it's beautiful. .... but what I read online talked about the possibility of heavy silicate in same from HD. What kind did you get? Any silicate trouble?

aquarium7043.png

I think I used pool filter sand because it's really white looking and mixed it with some live sand, I forget the brand but it was from petco, never had any issues other than wishing I hadnt used any at all. 

I remember awhile back some discussion (perhaps Jimlin?) of some kind of thin, solid substrate with sand in a matrix (clear epoxy?) that gives the look of a sandbed without the concurrent potential issues. If I were re-doing a tank, I'd probably go bare-bottom or something like I just described, UNLESS I wanted to have fish that require a sandbed (jawfish, some wrasses, etc). Just a thought - no noisy crabs.  :tongue:

Who knew crabs liked to tap dance!