Fluval Edge reefer .

Tommy

The price definitely seems to be the only drawback. I would love it if I could afford it, but I don't think it's particularly necessary. I have a 12G Fluval Edge nano setup and it's not a very difficult-to-maintain tank (famous last words), aside from the odd internal dimensions. The main advantage of the MP3 is that it adds a small skimmer and leaves room for a heater and some live rubble outside of the tank and keeps one from needing an internal powerhead (unless you have sps). It doesn't add enough extra water volume to really make a difference, and you can run carbon and what not through the stock filter. I run purigen and filter floss in the stock Aquaclear filter, use a koralia nano, and mounted a $60 wavepoint led that's been more than enough for my LPS heavy setup (frogspawn, hammer, duncans, some softies, all which have been growing). I don't think it could handle any sps except 'maybe' a slimer, but for the cost of the MP3 light you'd probably be better off spending a tiny bit more on the superior AI Nano and mounting it to the stock cover (there are a ton of instructions online, and it doesn't seem to be a difficult process).

As for the skimmer, it'd probably be a nice bonus, but with a small setup like the edge I just replace 2-3 plastic cups full of saltwater every day or two and top off with a cup or so of rodi water every day and my parameters have been stable and I haven't had any issues with nitrates, algae, etc. I also do a 20% water change every 2-3 weeks to be safe, but it's a pretty quick process.

If I had the $400 for the setup and skimmer, I would consider it since it would make things a little bit easier and keep the heater out of the tank, but again, not really necessary.

As for stocking, I have two juvenile clownfish, a yasha goby/pistol combo, and a ruby red dragonet that I feed by transferring pods from the DT refugium every few days, and a small CUC of a cleaner shrimp and some snails and hermits. Been going strong for a few months now. 

Nice man ...I had a 6g Edge set up with the reefbrite led 18w a few months ago but i put it away now ..looking at your Edge makes me wanna set it back up.  I also think the $600+ is too much but its a nice concept ...just wish it was cheaper ...lol

That looks really great. The only truly obnoxious aspect of the 12G edge is its height. Because it's so narrow, it's almost impossible to create a 'scape that is tall enough to not have a bunch of blank space near the top, unless you want to use magnet fake rocks (thinking about it) or drill and put a rod in. Good luck if you decide to set it up again!

I 100% agree, and would have considered it  had I known that it was possible. I'd always assumed that seahorses required a 30ish gallon tank, but it seems like what really matters is the height, as you said. The woman in this video has a beautiful seahorse setup, and I'm pretty sure she uses a cannister filter and eschews the use of the stock aquaclear. 

That is a cool concept.  My biggest concern with my 12 is the water level, so that would at least let you top off in the back.  The inlet/outlet assembly scares me a bit on that.  If the venturi gets clogged and the siphon breaks or if that screen gets blocked - all the water in the back is going on the floor unless I missed that it has some kind of auto shutoff safety feature - no room for error in that tiny volume of water in the lip of the tank. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

FWIW, I ended up breaking down my edge setup because of an ich outbreak (blarghhh) that took out one of my clowns (although the rest of my fish made a successful transition to my other tank after treatment). Parameters were stable and corals, especially LPS and softies, were doing fine and growing (albeit not as quickly as in my main setup). As discussed earlier, maintenance on the edge is a pita, but it takes up so little space and looks nice, and, more importantly (to me), the closed top keeps evaporation to a minimum so manual top-offs were really simple. I'll probably keep the edge in storage for future use, since I generally like the way it looks, but for now it'll go back in storage.