Cold tank? Heater was unplugged!

lutz123

So, I realized that when I was cleaning out the back sections of my Solana I forgot to plug the heater back in. My thermometer is usually being carried around by my urchin so I didn't notice - everything seemed happy so no reason to think anything was amiss. And by the way, that cleaning took place a week and a half ago. And the tank was 64 degrees the whole time.

After it finally came back up to temperature I'm wondering what to expect. Just watch? It's inhabitants are two threadfin cardinals, a goldline blenny, two skunk cleaners, three urchins (they were hitchhikers), a few lps, mushrooms, serpent star, and a spiral coral. I usually keep the tank around 75 degrees - cooler than many folks do.

Wow, 64 is pretty low. This tank must be in an unheated part of the house. My 600g and my 16g are both at 75 in the winter and go to about 82 in the summer. Investing in a temp probe with an alarm or a tank controller might help to prevent this from happening again. Hopefully everything makes it, keep us posted.

(edited)

Yeah, a controller will definitely will be an investment. In the meantime that probe looks like a good interim purchase.  We usually keep the home heat at about 69 in the winter.  No wonder I felt like it was colder than that!

Edited by lutz123

Healthy... Strange, I think we read so much about keeping everything perfect that you forget how hardy everything can be. Not keeping sps helps too I guess.

I'm glad it is all doing good.

Not keeping SPS helps a lot. Most SPS are out in the reef areas where temps are more constant while softies and many LPS are located closer to shore in shallower water and are subjected to more variations in water quality.