Where have all the Maximas gone?

So I have been chatting with John and Byron at BRK and they say that no one has maxima's, other than a few tiny ones. I have noticed clams direct only has a few small ones, if any. I have also seen people mentioning a lack of maxima availability on RC. Anyone have any ideas what happened to the maximas? I'm guessing either a loss of aquaculture due to the Tsunami last year and there just aren't any larger ones coming into the market? Or just that demand is so high that they are shipping them out before they get larger than 1.5-2"

Any other ideas?

IMO, its combination of demand, & destruction of facilities like ORA, that impacted the supply. 2 years ago, ORA in FL was hit by the 2+ huricanes. Also more & more shops stocking or ordering them to stock = demand.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.pemsea.org/downloads_pdf/tc/dec...icuananetal.pdf

Interesting article about Tridacnids.

This article exposes and highlights why we as hobbyists must be careful about our purchases. Ask if it is farmed or wild collected. If we are not careful, the wild clams that are now coming from Vietnam or the rest of SE Asia will soon be facing the same fate as those in the Philippines and other countries of this article.

Great find Beltway.

This article exposes and highlights why we as hobbyists must be careful about our purchases. Ask if it is farmed or wild collected. If we are not careful, the wild clams that are now coming from Vietnam or the rest of SE Asia will soon be facing the same fate as those in the Philippines and other countries of this article.

Great find Beltway.

very good point. prior to my last clam shipment, I was informed by several dealers that CITES was not renewing any clam collecting permits in most of SE Asia.