Rescued a Hippo Tang

Crob5965

About 8 months ago I was at a LFS picking up some live food for my reef tank, I did my usual window shopping and noticed a near death, torn up and malnourished hippo tang in one of the tanks, I asked one of the guys what had happened to it and he told me someone had brought it in that morning, apparently it had been living in a 10-20 gal aquarium with another tang and a couple of other fish for the last couple of years.

I always check on the fish every time I visit the store and see it chilling in the tank with a big NFS sign on the glass, I spoke with  some of the employees recently about if they would let it go to a new home as it was still living in a tiny tank, and finally today was the day, they agreed to let me take it home, I gave them $20 for it and I'm pretty sure he's as good as he's going to get, he only has 1 eye he has no Dorsal fin left and his tail fin has a chunk taken out of it and he's full of scars, but I think he's the coolest fish ever.

I know even a 90Gal isn't really big enough for a Hippo Tang but considering he has spent his whole life in less than 20gal I think he's going to be pretty happy in my tank, I do have the 6' 120 gal sitting in the garage that may or may not ever get set up, I know every time I get a new fish it becomes my favorite fish, but I have a feeling this guy, may keep the title longer than most.

Thanks

Craig 

Nice! He's got spunk, get that big boy setup, you've outgrown the other tank anyways.

Good looking fish there. He (she?) is gonna love being able to stretch a bit. Maybe this is the excuse you need to take advantage of that nice 6' you have sitting around? (hah, any excuse to upgrade, no?)

Nice! He's got spunk, get that big boy setup, you've outgrown the other tank anyways.

Thanks Isaac,

I came down on Orders for Hawaii for the end of the year, my wife wont let me set up the big tank, but i'm pretty sure sh's going to Florida in the spring so I'll have a week or 2 to sneak it into the house. although I hear divorces can be pretty expensive these days.

Good looking fish there. He (she?) is gonna love being able to stretch a bit. Maybe this is the excuse you need to take advantage of that nice 6' you have sitting around? (hah, any excuse to upgrade, no?)

Yup I just saw the 330 gal breakdown, i'm still drooling 

Thanks Isaac,

I came down on Orders for Hawaii for the end of the year, my wife wont let me set up the big tank, but i'm pretty sure sh's going to Florida in the spring so I'll have a week or 2 to sneak it into the house. although I hear divorces can be pretty expensive these days.

It's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Did you get this beauty rester at ricks 8 months ago? I thought I seen it there. We see this way too often in the hobby. Sometimes I wish there were tang police to verify a tank size before purchase.

yeah, I was there the day the guy brought him in, they did a great job taking care of it and nursing it back to health, but unfortunately, it was still stuck in a tiny tank, so I had to take him/her home.