250W Jaeger heater tripped my ShockBuster GFCI

rtsusc83

So I have a 250W Jaeger Heater that is about a year old.  It is controlled by my Apex system that is plugged into a shockbuster GFCI.  Went I went to view my tank, I noticed that the lights were out and the room was silent.  I checked the GFCI and found out that it was tripped.  Attempted to reset it and tripped immediately.  I systematically started to unplug the equipment from my EB8s and the first one I unplugged was the heater.  Reset the GFCI and the system restarted.  Plugged back in the heater and the GFCI tripped.  Needless to say I took out the heater and immediately put a backup heater not connected to the Apex system.  So far everything is working ok and will troubleshoot more if it in fact with the heater or a fault with the EB8. all other plugs on the affected EB8 are working.   Wondering if anyone else experienced this? 

Yes. So glad I caught it. The heater because of its length was in the display tank which has been encrusted and probably caused early failure. Definitely buying a new one. Any recommendations on a shorter high wattage heater?