Stomatella snail reproduction

MrSexyShrimp

Pretty cool that I happened to catch this on video. Unfortunately my blenny decided to investigate what all the fuss was about and interrupted the snail. I saw about 5 puffs of "smoke" (either eggs or sperm, I guess) before I grabbed my camera.

The stomatella's entire body was inflated and only attached to the rock by the end of the foot... I had no idea it was even my stomatella snail until after it was all over.

Here's the link to the video:

https://vid.me/vfMh

I'm starting to see more and more now that I don't have a six line wrasse. Gosh that Blenny sure is a nosey photo bomber. Cool footage!

Edited by gmerek2

I used to have thousands of these, and have seen the same spawning behavior.  Now they are very rare in my system.  Not sure what caused their decline, as I don't have any predators that I know of, especially in the frag tank & sump.  I guess whatever algae they prefer must have disappeared.  Hopefully that is cyclical, and they'll rebound when their algae comes back.

I used to have thousands of these, and have seen the same spawning behavior.  Now they are very rare in my system.  Not sure what caused their decline, as I don't have any predators that I know of, especially in the frag tank & sump.  I guess whatever algae they prefer must have disappeared.  Hopefully that is cyclical, and they'll rebound when their algae comes back.

Same experience here - I used to give them away when people came for frags, and I've seen them putting eggs/sperm into the water column, but now I haven't seen one in my tank in what seems like a couple of years.  :sad: