Not just a 60g cube of rocks...

Hello all! I’m new to WAMAS, but have had a few SW tanks over the years. I’ve been pretty much a loner in the hobby since I had been moving a lot and never really joined a club or met any good reefers. I bought my first tank (65g) in 2003. I moved that tank from Utah to Seattle to Florida to Colorado to New Mexico. I had very good luck moving the tank with no major deaths. Granted I was only moving LR, softies and fish. By the last move, I had it down to a science!!! ….then I got tired and stopped reefing for a while. About 3 years ago, I moved to DC and found some amazing reef shops. The reefer bug really kicked in at that point. So I went crazy and bought a 4g nano tank!!!! I tricked it out with nice LED lights. I kept that tank for about a year with great luck. I did water changes every week and had all of the benefits of a large tank in that little teacup of a tank. Between us WAMAS members…that was just my gateway tank for my wife. I knew she would love it, but it was hard to ask her for $$$$ to start up a big tank. She became obsessed with our little teacup reef. All the pieces fell into place when she saw the Red Sea plug and play tank in one of my reef mags. Secretly I knew she would be completely shocked by the cost. I didn’t even want a Red Sea tank, but I knew that when she saw the $5k price on it she would say “Holy $#H!! there is no way we can get that tank”…..then you show her the cheaper tanks. Well needless to say, we left the LFS with an IM Nuvo 30 with stand and 92w LED light. I’ve had that tank going for about a year and a half. I moved all of my little guys from the teacup reef over to the “big” tank and they are happier than ever. With the new light and access to good LFSs I was able to get into SPS corals, which is amazing. Now I have outgrown my 30g and have just bought a 60g cube. I’ll get into the equipment I have later. I don’t have it all, but I am working towards it.

Every time I have aquascaped my tank in the past, I have gone with the standard “wall of live rock” on the back wall. Sometimes I put a cave, but that is about it. Because of my moves I have done this lots of times. Normally I am trying to get the tank up and operational as quickly as possible. This time is different. I have time to plan and think outside the box (cube) with my aquascaping. A few ideas I am bouncing around are pillars, shelves, and maybe a big cantilevered piece. I’d like to hear thoughts on these ideas or maybe pictures!

Equipment I have now:
60gallon cube framed - Deep Blue
24x24 Marineland Venture stand
130 Vertex Omega 130 skimmer
2 – MP10s
Digital Aquatics Elite controller
2 – BRS dosers
Autoaqua Smart ATO
AquaLife RO Buddie RO/DI system

Trigger Systems 20x20 Ruby Cube sump - Just got it.

Waveline DC-6000 pump - Just got it.

What I need:
New LED light – My crappy choice of an LED just went out of warranty and a row of lights is out now!
Sump – I plan to use a 10g tank and make a sump
Sump return pump
Heaters – Probably 2-150w heaters

My goal is to have a very natural looking tank and not just a wall of rock with corals on it. I like the idea of columns (in the wild) but have quite figured out how to implement one in my tank. Below are a few pictures of my inspirations and my equipment.

Ben

Edited by Reefer_Madness

sen5241b - basically the same way we get our corals from across the world.  Lots of Styrofoam, temp heaters, bags, buckets, and drive straight through.  It was just soft corals, fish and live rock.  A real pain in the butt.

I'm making some progress. I decided to make a big cantilever style overhang. This is my first prototype....

Work in progress...I'm going to put a pillar or island in the empty spot on the left.

I still have some issues to work out, but the basic theory is looking good I think. e8c1e1cc013418701930826f0560e511.jpg54990cd8ab2d202741bce015ec3009a4.jpg8b34f9bbb2499de75cbcad87cb33b60f.jpg

Thoughts?

The weight of the LR is something I need to think about. My prototype will need some additional supports. Maybe webbing. I just need to put some weight on the arch and check things out.........74cedb9bd85ee7d8bd8ea2ee0e275acb.jpg

Edited by Reefer_Madness

Unless you plan on slidding your rock onto said structure (btw, your PVC doesn't look sch 40, which I believe would be a big stronger) I don't understand what the PVC's function will be. Maybe I'm not thinking outside the box here.

This is just my opinion, but I like to search for more organic shapes that you can create with the rock, and think it would be more helpful to have the rock you are going to use present. 

I can definitely see something like your structure done with rock, and look forward to the end result!

I'm in construction and a have lots of tools, so I have an entire different "box" to think outside of.  In my mind, I need a structure to attach the rock too.  With the type of aquascaping I want to do, I don't want any movement in the main structure of the freestanding feature. After thinking about my CPVC erector set, I realized that my original idea was going to need some major rethinking :wacko:......so I turned it into a model session and basically a visual tool.  The frame around the outside allows me to see the basic footprint of the tank bottom while I am moving around the layout on my kitchen table.  It has no function other than seeing the tank rock spacing.  I need to figure out my end product before buying LR.  I am experimenting with the different shapes in the tank.  I have the tools to shape the rocks, but I don't think I want to do that.  Once I figure out the basic layout for the rock, then I can go rock shopping.  I assume I will need to so some basic rock shaping, but I don't want to build the entire structure to look like masonry.  Live rock is very soft, so that would be pretty easy to do, but I need to do some more research....

By the way rather than using the 10g small sump, I decided to go with a Trigger Systems 20x20 Ruby Sump with refugium and adjustable weir for the protein skimmer depth. Premium Aquatics says it will be delivered on Wednesday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the tank wet. With a little RODI system and not much time over the holidays, it took me forever to fill the tank! Put in a recirc line from my return back into the refugium. I'm working on balancing the return with the overflow. With that DC-6000 controllable pump it makes me wish I would have drilled my overflow bigger. I would love to turn up the pump, but I can't get rid of the water fast enough. The overflow keeps bouncing up and down with the vapor lock and siphon effect.

I'm temped to drill the breather hole bigger, but I hear that is a bad idea. Thoughts?

a05ffb52be6e185c8cd6dcc0810b4cea.jpgafcc8e5ef739377b06d1cd3985424661.jpg612065b31f99891e578c6618c24a6921.jpg477599a4f0dbd155cc0ec49c5389caa0.jpg