DIY Skimmers?

Guest Kimo

Guest Kimo

I know it is a fairly advanced DIY project, but has anyone here made a DIY skimmer that they were really happy with?

It seems simple enough, and with the proper tools is certainly attainable. Anything like this is pretty hard work, and acrylic is not cheap.

I am wondering because my MR-2 is leaking at the seams of the reaction chamber now, and I am worried that it is giving up the ghost. It's one of Andy's first skimmers so the workmanship isn't quite what it is now.I am really interested in the recirc skimmers, and I can see on ein my future. Problem is, I don't have $500 to spend on something like this.

So, lets see what you have done.

Jamie

I made one 12+ years ago and I'm still using it with no plans to replace it.

This is Howardofnova's, but it looks like this only my downdraft tube is taller and

I added an air expansion chamber which further compresses the air during intake.

122DIY_ChipOSkimmer-med.jpg

This is Howardofnova

122HISWAquarium3May05-med.jpg

Would you let your daughter go to the movies with this guy?

I made one 12+ years ago and I'm still using it with no plans to replace it.

This is Howardofnova's, but it looks like this only my downdraft tube is taller and

I added an air expansion chamber which further compresses the air during intake.

122DIY_ChipOSkimmer-med.jpg

This is Howardofnova

122HISWAquarium3May05-med.jpg

Would you let your daughter go to the movies with this guy?

54984[/snapback]

I have seen Howard's working and it does a great job.

Chip, as far as your comment on the second pic I agree. I wouldn't. However if it were the other guy, the one with the white t-shirt with a Coralife theme on it, I would :D

Aaaahhhh - the "Chip-er-ra-tor 9000". You should consider this design - he's solved the biggest PITA in the DIY skimmer that being the "funnel" at the top.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Kimo

Nice Gary -

I have been thinking about the CC air driven skimmers like Snailmans on RC - Anyone done one of these?

I hooked my skimmer back up last night, and it's STILL leaking, just to spite me.

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

I will be hooking up my CC air driven skimmer this evening. I will get some pics and post them. It is 6' tall and made from 4" diameter PVC. I will be using a Luft air pump. It seems like it should work. I guess I will know shortly.

Nice Gary -

I have been thinking about the CC air driven skimmers like Snailmans on RC - Anyone done one of these?

I hooked my skimmer back up last night, and it's STILL leaking, just to spite me.

Jamie

Guest Kimo

I will be hooking up my CC air driven skimmer this evening. I will get some pics and post them. It is 6' tall and made from 4" diameter PVC. I will be using a Luft air pump. It seems like it should work. I guess I will know shortly.

Excellent!

Photos of my CC air driven skimmer are in my gallery. It didn't work very well the first day or so. I bought a Luft Air Pump repair kit and it is skimming pretty well.

130cc_skimmer_3_-med.JPG

130cc_skimmer_2_-med.JPG

130cc_skimmer_1_-med.JPG

DAUGHTERS!

I'M 45! NO WAY!

NOW YOUR SISTERS IS A ANOTHER STORY!! :D

I LOVE the Downdraft type skimmers, Chips type has been running including mine for over a decade will zero defects! KEEP THAT IN MIND if you looking to Diy!

Guest clownfish4

WOW! :blink: You guys are so far past the line you can't even see it.

Wait a minute, let me put my BI-FOCALS on....

...what line??? :D

Guest clownfish4

Oh you know, the one between normal and WAMAS members. :blink:

just rehooked my easy as pie clone back up and it shut down my tunze skimmer. go figure.

the corals are looking better and the clam has grown some like protusion stucking out of the mantleand starting to spread out more. i hope i am not over skimming. water looks a little clearer too! now i gotta figure out a mini-EAP skimmer for my 29

Guest HVF21221

Here is my DIY needlewheel skimmer. It is on a system with 325gal. Currently it is using 3 sedra 9000's. The pic only has 2 hooked up. The body is about 40" tall, then the cone, riser neck, then collection cup. The body diameter is 12" pvc.

newsk2.jpg

newsk1.jpg

Howard

If anyone can make me the top for a skimmer like the one Howard has I would be happy to pay them for doing so. I don't think I have the capabilities to make such a thing. I believe I can do the rest of the skimmer without any trouble.

Howard,

Your skimmer looks amazing. You wouldn't have an extra top for it would you? I didn't think so.