Skimmer Section for 50 gallon tank

msl5078

Hi everyone, I've been absent from here for awhile and I'm starting to get the coral itch again and want to get my tank up and running.  So long story short I have a 120 gallon tank that I need to get rid of and downsize to a 40 gallon tank (most my landlord will allow).  So I'm looking at getting a 40 gallon long (48"x12"x16") and then drilling it for overflows and making a mini version of my plans for my 120.  I'm having trouble picking a skimmer... here is what I've come up with so far:

Seaside Aquatics CS5.5

Seaside Aquatics ES5

ESHOPPS S120

Aquamaxx CO-1

My budget for this is going to be about $300 probably, just need to sell that equipment that I cannot use on the 120... darn landlord.  For this tank I plan to slightly overstock with small community fish and make my emphasis more on coral and the challenge of doing SPS... woohoo!

-Mike 

I suggest an avast cs1. Great skimmer, and local supportive vendor. Also, made in the USA!

Love avast stuff, but the CS-1 would be too big for the tank I was thinking about getting I think. I'm afraid with something that big I won't get the proper foam head development on the skimmer causing it to underperform compared to a small skimmer with a slightly smaller neck and body.