proper position for powerhead(s)

kngfisher

Ok need some help. I have a 55gal tank with one big island of live rock in the center of the tank. I have been told by a few that I need to increase the the water motion threw the live rock.

looking down

############################----------------r = live rock

#P---------rrr-------P---rrrrrr--P---rrr---------P#---------------P = powerhead

#------rrrr--rrrr-rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-rrrr-rrrrrr-----#

#-----rrrrr-rrrrrrrrrrr----rrrrrrrrrrrrr--rrr-------#---------------powerheads in use

#----rrrrrrrrrr-rrr-rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-rrr-rrrrrr-----#---------2 AquaClear 70s (one in each corner)

#-----rrrrrrrr--rrrrrr--------rrrrrrrrrrrrr---------#---------2 Maxi-Jet 1200s (roughly in the center)

#-----------rrr--------------rrrrrrrr---------------#

############################

what direction should I point the powerheads? They are all low in the tank and at different hights (3" off bottom to 8" off bottom but should the currents be douncing off the tank walls, rock, each other? Is there a site that explains the best way the setup powerheads for max flow and why?

I don't know if there is a general answer to what you are asking, but the idea is to keep detrus from building up...

Your overall flow is fixed (by the size of the powerheads)... getting more flow throughout the tank is almost always a good thing.

One idea you want is turbulance, and non regular flow that is know to be better than just normal flow.

You will also want some turbulance on the top of the tank (for O2 exchange).

What powerheads do you have and how much flow do they supply?

Dave