MrSexyShrimp's 34g Solana AIO Sexy Shrimp Discotheque

It's a sight for sore eyes. Why are you worried about checking your alkalinity ATM? Water changes should be keeping your levels solid.

+1 but he may be OCD about Alk swings .

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a sight for sore eyes. Why are you worried about checking your alkalinity ATM? Water changes should be keeping your levels solid.

TL;DR: Something is definitely off. SPS not thriving.

I had my major cloudiness issue which I posted about. Used Algaefix, which fixed it in 2 doses, but now I'm seeing a light haze again. I don't want to have to keep dosing Algaefix. It's not a permanent solution.

Sometime during the cloudy haze period, my green slimer acro frag turned brown. Polyp extension was fairly good before, even when my yellow clown goby (since rehomed) was nipping at polyps. Polyp extension is pathetic right now. Only seem to be extended at ALL on the top side of the coral. The three small "nubs"  started bleaching at base where the "nub" meets the main "branch" of the frag. Over a few days each nub bleached completely bottom up.

When I was cleaning my tank, I accidentally bumped the smallest bleached nub and it broke off. I went to pick it up and it crumbled between my fingers with hardly much pressure. Makes me think something chemical. Like how bones dissolve in acid.

Sunset monti growing, no problems. My purple monti, no growth in the 3 months-ish I've had it, but PE isn't great. My other purple monti bleached when the cloudiness cleared up because I didn't turn down my lights. It's barely hanging on, not improving at all.

GSP putting on noticeable growth. Mild but observable growth on other LPS and on red macroalgaes.

This week I started getting the classic diatom film, despite it not showing up at all during my first two months.

Only have 1 fish (tailspot blenny), feed her a very very small pinch of dried algae flakes every other day. Sexy shrimp, hermit crabs and nassarius snails get maybe 4 tiny sinking shrimp pellets.

Figured I needed to start testing to see what's wrong. Can't hurt right

Correct. Like YHSublime said just do water changes. This is the best way to return balance to your system. I appears that you had a large bacteria die off which will lead to a mini cycle. run all the basic test first and look for spikes. I hope this helps.

As always Happy Reefing.

+1 but he may be OCD about Alk swings .

The Red Sea alk test, which I'm almost positive I did incorrectly, said ~8.4dKh.

Hanna test 1 -- 117ppm = 6.55 dKh

Hanna test take 2 -- 139 ppm = 7.78 dKh

pH (API) in the AM is ~7.8 which is a touch low, about 8 in the evenings. This autumn I was opening my windows at night which helped, but it's getting too cold for that now.

Will re-run the Red Sea Ca/Mg/Alk tests today in the daylight. Should be easier to see colors.

Correct. Like YHSublime said just do water changes. This is the best way to return balance to your system. I appears that you had a large bacteria die off which will lead to a mini cycle. run all the basic test first and look for spikes. I hope this helps.

As always Happy Reefing.

The cloudiness actually got MUCH worse when I did a WC to 'correct' it the first time FWIW.

Am making up a new bucket of SW right now. Thnx.

From my water change yesterday. Time to suck it up and order a cheap UV sterilizer I guess. I don't like the idea of dosing AlgaeFix longterm.

Also, anyone know what kind of algae this is? I've never seen it before, but it looks like 'sea lettuce.' I saved it in case it turns out to be beneficial. No idea how it hitchhiked into my tank.

y4RhCX2l.jpg

2h9koU3l.jpg

There was an Amazon lightning deal for a $25 UV sterilizer just now. Score!

Good work. You are an excellent American. 

And yes, looks like sea lettuce to me. Salad it up.

UV sterilizer arrived last night. It had every indication of being a cheap made-in-China type product. I gave it roughly 50/50 odds of working vs. electrocuting me.

Anyway I ran it over night and it worked!

It's meant for a much larger tank, so it's a little noisy and it puts out a lot of flow which ticked off my duncans, but everything else is doing well.

Took it out, will run it again if needed.

That's super cool, I have always been skeptical of UV sterilizers in general. I don't know why. 

• 3 months later...

So you came in strong, and then....

what's up with the tank!?

So you came in strong, and then....

what's up with the tank!?

I've been traveling and dealing with a re-org at work. Sorry :-\

Nothing to report, really. Tailspot blenny is great, sexy shrimps are great. The green slimer is mostly dead but hanging on for dear life. Duncans, acans, torch coral, pectinia all growing. Orange montis growing, purply montis both died. Hermit crab that was initially the size of a grain of rice is now a huge destructive monster that knocks everything over, but I like him.