40 gallon breeder sump.

icsparks

I built the baffle as a drop in unit, fully assembled. so I only have to seal the front and back walls. to the glass. The acrylic is glued together with an acrylic epoxy.

A single sheet of acrylic will tend to bow under the weight of water pressure in a long span, so  I added the 1" spacers between the sheets.  I didn't want to go with glass because acrylic will not break like glass and when your down there cleaning, moving rocks,skimmers and such around there is less chance of breakage. I cut all of the pieces on the table saw.  The front and back wall height will be determined by how high you need your water level. The center wall will need to be taller in order to force the water through the trap. The center wall also has a 1-1/2" notch cut out of the bottom to let the water travel up through the last wall and out. Also the last wall is  shorter in  length to allow enough room to place the assembly into the tank.

post-2634763-0-79325900-1412090991_thumb.jpg

post-2634763-0-64055200-1412091005_thumb.jpg

post-2634763-0-01841900-1412091035_thumb.jpg

My sump is center return. the pictures above is for the skimmer side. for the fuge side I made the first wall the tallest fuge height and then the last wall height is determined by what you want your return pump section water height to be.

I left the vertical spacers about 1/8" off edge of the walls for the epoxy to have a surface to stick to for a stronger joint. You can go right to the edge if you use perfect smooth cuts and use acrylic bonding agent for a more professional look. I just used epoxy from a local hardware store.