Dinos? Diatoms?

Squishie89

About half way through selling off all my corals I started getting some slime on the byropsis algae. I didn't think much of it. Over the past 1-2 weeks (I now only have one coral left, which is leaving tomorrow) the slime got worse. It mostly only grows on algaes (bryopsis and bubble) and on my powerheads. After doing a bit of research I think it might be dinos as my pod population has been having problems (and I have 3 fish dependent on pods). I would not care about some slime due to me breaking down the tank within the next 2-3 months, but if it is affecting the pods and thus affecting the fish, then I care. I do dose NOPOX and I have upped the dose as I figure what is the main problem is the corals used to probably eat a lot of the leftover food as they catch it, and now nothing is catching it and then the tanks PO3 and NO4 are rising which feeds the algae/slime. I also have 2 hermit crabs, but they do absolutely nothing and I wonder if that is an issue as well, lack of competent CUC.

Here are some photos from tonight (last night I took the time and blew ALL the slime off, so this is 24 hours later).

TOvbnz.jpg
AXbuZm.jpg

47aV3c.jpg

RAuuo7.jpg

wybPZd.jpg

xHdbbB.jpg

what are you planning on doing to fix the problem? I actually have the EXACT same problem at the moment with my tank. I got a crab for the bubble algae and tried to siphon them out. Worked for a few days and then came back even worse. My slime got a little better after I added some red slime remover, but did not seem to help much. I bought a sea slug/hare (whichever it is, forgot) for the byropsis algae. Still seems to be a little too slow...I do not know what to do. Your plans? Maybe I can see what to do with mine

I recently had some similar purple slime that didn't want go away. I did 3.5 days of darkness, cut back on the amount I feed, changed out a bag of carbon and gfo, and manually scrubbed any bits I could find with a tooth brush every night. It hasn't been back since and its been 3-4 weeks.

I also have a large cuc from reef cleaners, which seems to do a great job keeping things in check. But only the little snails seem to eat the slime and only a little. I also spot placed handfuls of the little dwarf ceriths on problem spots.

what are you planning on doing to fix the problem? I actually have the EXACT same problem at the moment with my tank. I got a crab for the bubble algae and tried to siphon them out. Worked for a few days and then came back even worse. My slime got a little better after I added some red slime remover, but did not seem to help much. I bought a sea slug/hare (whichever it is, forgot) for the byropsis algae. Still seems to be a little too slow...I do not know what to do. Your plans? Maybe I can see what to do with mine

I posted to figure out what I can do XD I might have to do a black out and start placing snails on the problem areas. I don't really care about the green algaes as they are places for pods to breed and I am breaking down the tank soon. I am more concerned about the pods since I have 3 fish dependent on pods.

I also have a large cuc from reef cleaners, which seems to do a great job keeping things in check. But only the little snails seem to eat the slime and only a little. I also spot placed handfuls of the little dwarf ceriths on problem spots.

I have CUC from them as well. I will place the snails up there, thanks for that tip!! I might also do the black out especially since I am about to sell my last coral. Thanks so much for your input.

I would take out the rock, scrape as much of it off as I can, siphon out everything else I can as well, get emerald crabs, and an aggressive blackout on top of a few water changes. 

I would take out the rock, scrape as much of it off as I can, siphon out everything else I can as well, get emerald crabs, and an aggressive blackout on top of a few water changes. 

Unfortunately that is pretty close to impossible as it is mostly on the fake reef which supports most of the rock structures.

I did noticed my RODI TDS was at 5, so I changed the filters and now back down to 0, so hopefully that might help as well. I put as many snails I could find onto the bad areas and hopefully they do their jobs

I would turn off all pumps, be ready to change out 20% water, scrape and syphon out what you can.  Do 5-10% water changes every other day for a week or 2 and clean up crew.