Live Stock Questions: Xenia, Zoas & a dead snail

seanoli

Hello everyone. First, I wanted to thank everyone for being really helpful so far! My tank has been running for about 1.5 months, I have CUC in there and they seem to be doing well (aside form one snail) and I would like to add some additional life stock.

My first question is about the snail. I have a snail that's been in the tank for about a week. He opened up once but has been closed for the last few days. Are there any tell tale signs that he's died? When should I take it out?

Next question, does anyone have any thoughts about keeping xenia and zoas together in an 8G? Any recommendations on keeping them in general?

Thanks for your help.

Tough call on the snail. If it was a small snail in a big tank I wouldn't worry about contamination if it died and I would leave it in there. In 8 gallons I might take it out if it is dead. I guess you could pull it out and see if the foot is sealed up tight and whether or not it smells. I had some snails get cranky and close up for days because my magnesium was too high (treating for bryopsios at the time) but I moved them to another tank and they were fine. I think high temps can make them close up and possibly die especially if they were a cool water species.

I have zoas and xenia in my 25 gallon frag tank (approx. 50 gallon water volume with sump). No problems that I know of unless there is some chemical warfare going on that I don't see.

I brought home some xenia once that shriveled up and looked like a piece of pink bubble gum had been stuck on a rock. I left it there and months later it developed tiny buds and slowly grew back. eventually it spread all over the back of may tank!

Do you have an experience with/suggestions for good places to purchase them online? I'm carless and overnight shipping costs about as much as renting a vehicle.

Sorry, I haven't purchased much online. I've bought a couple things from www.reefs2go.com. Mostly hermit crabs. They give some shipping discounts to us in the north east.

I'm not sure how long you've been a member but this board goes through phases where there are crazy amounts of corals for sale.

I don't think it will be a problem, but you will likely have to prune the xenia occasionally, depending on the strain.  I have one that has stayed put and not spread at all, and another that has really spread alot!

If you have a CUC, the snail would likely have been eaten if it were dead.  Also, I don't know that they stay closed tight when they die - I think they hang out a bit.

I love to order from kpaquatics.  Honestly, I haven't had any bad experiences (except I reefs2go and that was because my macroalgae was completely covered with hydroids!)  I regularly order corals from woo's aquatics on ebay and like them alot.  Exotic Reef Creations is local and I'm sure will deliver (free?) to DC or at least a metro stop, but for now you would have to touch base and see what they can get you.  Highly recommend them!

We have some fantastic LFS/Vendors here in the area who will get you exactly what you want for a great price. As for the snail, I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. Just take it out and see if it is dead. If no movement in the next day I would throw it out as you don't want that to decay in such a small tank.

Thanks for all of the help. I wound up finding a nice xenia at Pacific East Aquaculture--I'm in Zone 1 for UPS so shipping was only $15; I just had to go get it first thing in the morning from UPS in Alexandria.

I pulled the snail out this AM because he still hadn't moved, gave him a whiff and he was definitely done...totally rank. Thanks again for the suggestion!

I love to order from kpaquatics.  Honestly, I haven't had any bad experiences (except I reefs2go and that was because my macroalgae was completely covered with hydroids!)  

Rather than edit my original post I thought it better to post separately. My negative experience was with reefcleaners, not reefs2go. Sorry!