New 120 built into wall in basement remodel

Ironf18

Just getting started into the hobby again. Now with a single family home and the family to go with it. I have a place that is ideal to set up the ideal tank for me. I built the 120 into the wall behind the bar. Drywalling and painting are complete and I need some suggestions on what external pump to get that will sustain the 120 and a 39 gallon refrugium beneath. I have a dedicated mech room behind so space is not a problem. I plan on fish and some live rock at first and want to do it right. I planned on running an external pump, and a protien skimmer within the refugium. I want to use a combination of live rock and mech. filtration in the refugium. Any suggestions on pumps, skimmers and what live rock and sand to trust to get this started?

Just getting started into the hobby again. Now with a single family home and the family to go with it. I have a place that is ideal to set up the ideal tank for me. I built the 120 into the wall behind the bar. Drywalling and painting are complete and I need some suggestions on what external pump to get that will sustain the 120 and a 39 gallon refrugium beneath. I have a dedicated mech room behind so space is not a problem. I plan on fish and some live rock at first and want to do it right. I planned on running an external pump, and a protien skimmer within the refugium. I want to use a combination of live rock and mech. filtration in the refugium. Any suggestions on pumps, skimmers and what live rock and sand to trust to get this started?

everyone here raves about Avast skimmers, I bought a CS1 but havent set it up yet, so no personal experience but everyone I talk to says they are great, + they are local, is it a 4' 120 or 6' if you have the space I would get a larger fuge like a 40B, I have a 29gal fuge and although I got everything to fit it required a little more planning than a 40B just my 2c. I dont know much about external pumps sorry

Welcome! I suggest a DC 12000, an avast cs1, and if you have the time to cure it, brs dry rock.

Welcome! I suggest a DC 12000, an avast cs1, and if you have the time to cure it, brs dry rock.

I knew you would know, I told you people love Avast skimmers 

I knew you would know, I told you people love Avast skimmers

It's really opinion. I got the DC 6000, wish I went larger. I like avasts because they perform well, are reasonably priced, local, and that means American made. Also a club sponsor, which is another plus. Rock is whatever, if you have 3 months to get it going!

• 2 weeks later...

I have used dry rock (from Marco rocks) on two tanks and never cure it just stick it in and start cycling.

I do seed with a small rock that already has growth and the use Purple up or Purple Tech for a few months after cycling is complete.  the time is determined b how long it takes me to use up a bottle with weekly dosing.

Edited by Jim Mc

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone,

Thank you for the replies. Sorry about the delay in getting a reply back out to you. I looked up the DC12000 and was wondering how it compares to the Iwaki MD-55RLT (Japanese Motor),1104 GPH in durability and particularly noise level. I notice that BRS doesnt carry the DC12000 line of pumps. Why not?

Master Reefer,

The tank is a 4" version of the 120 gallon. The 39 gallon refug is the largest one I could get in the space below.

• 1 month later...

I do owe the group some photos. I had a bit of a snafu with building permits, but I should have that all sorted out shortly. I'll take some pictures and get them posted.

Great recommendations on the DC 12000 and the Avast CS-1 skimmer. I will get the skimmer in a day or so and will have the tank up and runing to begin cycling within the week.

Everyone,

Thank you for the replies. Sorry about the delay in getting a reply back out to you. I looked up the DC12000 and was wondering how it compares to the Iwaki MD-55RLT (Japanese Motor),1104 GPH in durability and particularly noise level. I notice that BRS doesnt carry the DC12000 line of pumps. Why not?

I happen to own both of those pumps.  While I cant give you hard scientific data this is my opinion of the differences. 

Both are great pumps.  The Iwaki can handle more head pressure.  The Dc12000 seems to use less electric I dont run mine on max.  I think both have similar amounts of noise but the DC12000 has a higher pitch so is more noticable for me.  The DC12000 can be run internal or external but the Iwaki is only external.

I currently use the DC12000 on my DT and the Iwaki on my water change station because I have to pump the water up from the first to second floor.