Aquarium Lighting 101-401

stevil

Anyone have any recommendations on some consolidated web resources or lighting FAQs that start with Aquarium Lighting 101 and go up through more advanced lighting topics? I'm kind of in the position where I don't know what I don't know when it comes to lighting and I'd like to get smarter before I 1) start flooding the board with random questions and 2) buy more crap.

Some general topics I'm interested in:

* Details of lighting components for the various systems (specifically VHO, T5 and Metal Halide)

* Assessing how much light is needed for various uses (zoos, corals, fish, etc), and what that even means when it comes to the different systems. Like I know you can't compare wattage of MH v T5, but so what?

* Any compatability between components of the various lighting systems

Oh, so much to say, so little ability to type fast...

Coming to the meeting? Will be glad to have a sit down then. There will be plenty of advocates from each side to give their opinions, explanations, pros, cons, costs.

????

Wow,

wish I knew of a resource that did that.

Really as you are thinking about lighting for your tank I think there are a couple of questions you want to ask...

1) Where is your tank going to be and what are the physical limitations (is it warm, small area, etc).

2) What are you going to keep in your tank? (FOWLR, SPS, LPS, Softies, Clams, Anemones)?

3) What tanks have you seen that you liked? (the tank tours are great for this).

Dave

IMHO -

#1 - livestock, pretty much determine how much light you'll need (though having space, heat, or cost issues can limit livestock)

#2 - type of light you like, i.e. can't live w/o shimmer line? then MH is likely on tap

About the only reference site I know of is Sanjay's & that's MH. You're correct watts/lumens/.... is useless, PAR is what you need to be concerned with.

Assessing light needs for organisms is very tough & very tank dependant. For example one tank may need more light due to having a higher level of organics in the water.

It's also a tough call because like many things in this hobby it's constantly evolving. Not too long ago it was "hammer them with massive amount of light for as long as possible" - now it's been learned that they simply shut down (& may damage) from overlighting.