Help me pick a return pump

Jon Lazar

I'm planning our new tank build, and want to get your thoughts about a return pump.

The tank is 350g, so I was thinking 5x-10x turnover from the return (1750-3500 gph). I'll use a closed loop for additional circulation.

The pump will be in the basement and the display tank will be on the ground floor.  That makes about 15' of vertical head loss, plus a bit more for friction.  I think this will rule out a lot of pumps.

My first thought is a Barracuda hybrid gold, which provides 2400gph at 16' of head pressure.  That seems about right.

Other contenders I should consider?  Important factors are:

- Reliability

- Ease of maintenance and repair part availability

- Operating noise

- Lifecycle cost (combination of purchase price + operating cost)

I've got some flexibility with the overflows.  The tank has two 12" x 8" corner overflows without teeth.  Each overflow has holes for a 2" pipe and a 1" pipe.  I  figure that a single 1" drain pipe with 16' of fall will move about 4700gph in full siphon.

What I'd really like to do is drill the back center of the tank and install a ghost overflow, and remove the two corner overflows.

But either way I think I have enough overflow capacity to handle the return pump range.  What do you think?