Crab ID?

OUsnakebyte

Well, I got home and was scanning as usual, when I saw one of my green monti caps sliming more than usual.  I looked and saw this little fella under the front edge of the cap.  Now, I did just stare at him for a few minutes, and cannot say that he definitely destroying the coral.  To my knowledge, I have nothing missing.

At first glance, I thought it might be an emerald crab.  I have had them before, but the last one I had alive in my tank I remember seeing some time last fall, and he was not nearly this size.  This one is about 1.5 inches long by about 1 inch deep.

I also looked for the characteristic flattened ends on the tips of its claw, but they both look pointed to me.

I uploaded 5 pics in the gallery under hitchhikers.  They are labeled What's this?

Does anyone know what this sucker is...?

Thanks!

Mike

Guest goblinshark
looks like a stone crab to me, wheres your rock from? Stone crabs will eat hermits snails fish... get rid of it!

The rock is mostly Fiji, some Kaelini (sp?).  I have no idea how long it's been in there, but I haven't had anything go missing on me yet.  I guess it's just a matter of time, huh? :rock:

I couldn't find your pictures, but if it is a stone crab, definitely get rid of it.  I got two boxes of transshipped Fiji rock and ended up with 3 stone crabs.  Several hundred snails and hermits later, I got them all out.  

I think I may have another now tho.  I have a rather large pile of freshly vacated shells accumulating in one corner of my tank... sd

I couldn't find your pictures....

Click on Gallery at the top of the page, then scroll down to Hitchhikers.  You'll see the pics (5 of them) in there.

Last night I dumped the fella in my sump.  Anyone have a trigger or puffer they want to feed?

Cheers

Mike

Hey Mike.... how did you post that link?  I tried that last night, and when I went to preview my message, it said there was an error and that I couldn't post that type of link...?  :rock:

Oops, I guess that was xeon who posted the link - my bad...  

Also, I grow chaeto in the sump, and have TONS of pods roaming in there.  Do you think he will decimate the population...?

Thanks all!  :)

That is a bit hit or miss on the refuge- and ideally a fuge should have no carnivores in it.  Might want to see if someone wants it before cooking it for dinner though.

I have a mantis tank for just such an occasion.  Amazing to see who lasts over the years

Do you want this guy for your mantis...?  I can bring him to the social on Saturday, if you are going...

Oops, I guess that was xeon who posted the link - my bad...  

Mike,

I just use the "url" tag when posting links.  I'll use the "code" tag below so you can see the syntax.  You basically just stick the opening and closing url tag before and after the link.  I'm not too familiar with Ikon, but this code should not be needed generally, but I see lots of "Links made clickable", so I just use tags here... That's a mouthful.

[url]http://www.somesite.com/dir1/dir2/page.php[/url]

Will give you: http://www.somesite.com/dir1/dir2/page.php

[url=http://www.somesite.com/dir1/dir2/page.php]This is an example link to nothing[/url]

Will give you: This is an example link to nothing

Back to crabs....