Dresser to stand conversion project.

frostyj

After seeing someone else do this on a different forum, I thought this would be an inexpensive a fun project to start.  So I started looking around at thrift shops and found this dresser that has a solid wood top. I am aiming for a sub $100 budget and so far I am $30 in.

Tomorrow I will start to gut, strip and reinforce it is a couple areas with left over 2x4's.  I plan on using the drawer fronts as the doors by removing them from the drawer and cutting them in half.  I am still planing some of it out as I want to add a section to house the electronics and such.  A 20L will be inside, so I will have room on the left or right. 

Here is is, it is 43"x18"  I'll post more pictures up as I progress.

post-2633768-0-10864200-1405430017_thumb.jpg

post-2633768-0-26115600-1405430018_thumb.jpg

Monday is my next day off, so I'll be doing some work on it then and updating the thread.

Well I finally got some time to do a little work on this project.  While I was taking it apart I had a different idea with the doors. I will be using the lower two sections as two swing-out doors and the upper as a flip up.  The upper portion will be for at least one 8 channel power strip and a pull out shelf that may or may not tilt down.  This would be where I could put controller modules.  In the sump area on the right I am planing a 5 gallon reservoir for fresh RO/DI water, with a panel in front to attach MP10 controller, future Apex controller and ATO.

I'm gonna go with a black stain, with a light grey inside. I don't need much support to add, but will have to add a plywood bottom to support the sump.

Looks like I can still do this for under $100, and have quite some time to finish it as I will not be using it anytime soon.  I am unable to set a tank up at my new place and will be taking down my current one as I can't get to it but once a week.    :(    Keep an eye out in SWAP.