Does anyone know what Avast (GSA) built there M4 calcium reactor out of?

bbyatv

I have sprung a leak on my M4 GSA calcium reactor and without it in the system, my parameters are dropping.

Does anyone here know what the material the M4 is made out of and what type of cement or solvent I need to seal it back up?

Also, where can I find the cement/solvent?  Is it available at hardware stores?

The leak is at the joint where the top flange cap and the tube come together.

Based on the picture, do you think I can get this to seal up without removing the flange all together?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Bruce

gallery_965_1344_131290.jpg

That is acrylic to acrylic. Best option is to use some weldon #4 and apply it from the other side of that joint. I.e., on the top of the reactor body. You're welcome to come over here to Rockville to get it, but maybe try Adam at artfully acrylic first since he's closer to you in va?

The only problem I can forsee is the age of the acrylic may not allow it to weld very well. Depends on how much saltwater it has seen over the years. Also be sure to wash it out with rodi water and dry thoroughly before gluing. A hairdryer may be best.

Justin,

Thanks for getting back.  Do you have a cell number you could PM me for Adam?

Or is there anywhere else you know of that I might find Weldon #4?

Thanks,

Bruce

That is acrylic to acrylic. Best option is to use some weldon #4 and apply it from the other side of that joint. I.e., on the top of the reactor body. You're welcome to come over here to Rockville to get it, but maybe try Adam at artfully acrylic first since he's closer to you in va?

Bruce, i might have some from my Avast CS3 build, let me check my "bag O' reef" things.

Sent pm.

Isaac he needs the watery #4, not the syrupy #33

Ahh. Sorry! NM then!

Based on concerns that weldon could cause the reaction chamber to crack, I decided to go with a recommendation from Adam to use Water Weld (picture below).

I cleaned the chamber walls real good, then applied the epoxy inside and out.  I am crossing my fingers.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Bruce

gallery_965_1344_128554.jpg

Kevin,

Thanks a ton for the offer.  I have been working with Justin and Dan from Avast along with Adam from Artfully Acrylic and have decided not to use Weldon for fear it might crack the extruded acrylic tube.  I have instead decided to use a 2 part epoxy to try and seal the unit.  I applied the 2 part yesterday and then installed the unit back into the system last night.  I checked it this morning and so far, so good.  No leaks after running for about 12 hours.  I will keep a close eye on it and post an update in a few months.

Bruce

Bruce, I am down the street from you, I think I have weldon #4, I will look when I get home.