Clownfish aggression

Rob Garrett

My 75g has what I believe is a true percula, who seems to get along with my blue tang and purple dottyback. However, the 5-7 blue green chromis have pretty much all disappeared, and so have my two cardinals. I also lost a red fire shrimp.

I've been told that I need to raise the numbers in the tank to about 16 fish. I like the chromis and yellow tailed damsels (semi aggressive).

If I separate the clown into a breeder box and introduce 7-8 of each chromis and yellow tailed damsels (1-1.5" each) am I setting myself up for more carnage?

I figured safety in numbers and the damsels may give the clown a run. I really don't want to lose the clown to another tank if I can help it.

I toyed with getting an anemone, but I think the nitrate level is too high (10-20ppm), which I'm working on.

Help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

part of the problems with chromis is they will pick each other off...i started with 5 and am down to 3...

clowns, excluding maroons and larger ones like tomatoes, dont normally pick on chromis is they have an anemone to host in..unless those fish like to stay around their nem...so i have a feeling youll keep adding fish to add fish...

and who said 16 fish i think this is all dependant on size and with a tang in there you may not have the room? ive got a 150g and even with my 3 larger fish only have 13...and thats my tipping point in my tank...

Thanks, looks like my clown may need to spend time isolated until I can get him an anemone.

Size wise, I was going to go with 5 gallons per inch.

I agree with Kim, your chomis probably killed each other off.  They are also very good at disposing of the bodies! Have you witnessed the clown showing aggression to the fish/shrimp you lost?  It may not be the clown at all, but water quality, or age/bad luck.  

I have found my yellow tailed damsels to be very aggressive to any newcomer in my tank.  The only way I can reliably introduce new fish with them is if I have multiple fish to put in at a time (spreads the aggression out). If you get yellow tails try to add them last to reduce their audacity.   

Good advice. My clownfish bites me when I clean the tank, so I assumed he was the culprit. He also likes to chase the chromis. But I'll keep watch.

Thanks

I just recently had to remove my pair of ocellaris clowns from my 16g because the female constantly picked on my blue dot jawfish.

I have had eight green chromis in my display tank for about six months now and they don't seem to bother each other at all. I never see any aggression among them and they normally stay together.

It could be something else eating them like a mantis shrimp or crab.