Jawfish cut on side of head

Orion

Noticed yesterday that my Jawfish has a cut along the side of its head. More than likely he darted in or out of his den and cut himself on a sharp edge.

Fish is swimming and eating normally. Is there anything I should watch out for, and do these things typically heal on there own?

I am afraid I will cause this fish a lot of stress if I try to put him into QT for any type of treatment as getting him out of that den would require me to take out half the rock in my tank. Even worse the den could collapse on him.

As far as you can tell, was anything injured other than skin? Like an eye or gills? Most likely it will heal just fine. Adding selcon will also possibly help him heal a bit quicker and easier.

Our pink spotted goby had a cut on his face (we think he got into a fight with our other goby) and we watched him and target fed for awhile and he healed up on his own.

As far as you can tell, was anything injured other than skin? Like an eye or gills? Most likely it will heal just fine. Adding selcon will also possibly help him heal a bit quicker and easier.

Eye is fine.. doesn't look like it went very deep.  Just soaked mysis in selcon and fed him.

I think the little guy will be just fine with some TLC and mysis =P

Thanks! He is by far my favorite fish

Yeah man, let it ride, feed well, keep stress down.

Argh. He hasn't come out all day today. Didn't come out until late yesterday either. Hopefully he is just resting up

My jaw fish would hide every couple months. Sometimes for a week or two at a time. I dug them out a couple times but with one exception where one got trapped inside a piece of PVC they were always fine. Just let him be and feed him again when he comes out.

My jaw fish would hide every couple months. Sometimes for a week or two at a time. I dug them out a couple times but with one exception where one got trapped inside a piece of PVC they were always fine. Just let him be and feed him again when he comes out.

Thanks!

He actually did come out yesterday a few minutes after I uncovered his den. Still eating and was active.

He actually did come out yesterday a few minutes after I uncovered his den. Still eating and was active.

Awesome! That's great to hear!

Eating and active, but now glancing/rubbing against the sand occasionally on the side with the cut. The area looks a little swollen.

• 1 month later...

Update. Still alive and has never been better. The cut is still there, and you can actually see through his gill. All of the swelling has gone away, and is acting / eating very well.