Strange fish disease?

LanksTank

Hey guys, I wanted to know if anyone can help me identify this? I was gone over the weekend and when I came back one of my clowns had tiny black specs all over its body. The other clown has some black specs but they are hardly noticeable. When I left Saturday morning, nothing was wrong and when I came back Sunday night I found this. Posted Image

I suspected black ich at first but I have no clue how it would've gotten introduced to the system. Right now I have my clowns in my quarantine tank till I move into my new apartment, and they have been in there for over 10 weeks with no signs of any stress or diseases. The only new thing in my system is a titanium heater I added because my cheap glass heater was wearing out. They are both eating fine and show no signs of stress. When I got back last night I did a 25% water change and applied an antibiotic. If antibiotic doesn't get rid of the specs I plan on moving to paraguard, then copper if that doesn't work. Anyone seen this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like hyper-melanization which can happen when the clown gets stung by a coral or new anemone which isn't the case here. The wounds from ich or similar parasite can also cause these marks. Is it the smaller or male that has these spots? The female could be getting rough as part of the bonding ritual and that mild skin damage could cause the hyper-melanization.

It looks like hyper-melanization which can happen when the clown gets stung by a coral or new anemone which isn't the case here. The wounds from ich or similar parasite can also cause these marks. Is it the smaller or male that has these spots? The female could be getting rough as part of the bonding ritual and that mild skin damage could cause the hyper-melanization.

I was thinking it looked as if it had gotten stung, but there are no corals in my tank.  I was thinking it most likely had to be some kind of skin condition though, which is why I put an antibiotic in the water.  Both my clowns had a habit of rubbing up against the glass heater from time to time and I don't know if the titanium heater could have burned them?  It is the male in the picture.  The female has always been a bit aggressive.  I did she her pushing around the male and nipping at him when I got home last night.

With the addition of the antibiotic you will need to watch the ammonia levels more closely as it can kill any good bacteria you have populated in the QT system.

Will do, the antibiotic treatment calls for a water change + re-treatment every 24 hours for 4-5 days.  I might also throw in a piece of egg crate to divide the pair if this was caused by them fighting, till irritation goes away.