Clown fish breeding

TaBman

Hi

i have recieved a very beatuiful breeding pair of true percula clowns female is oynx and the male is regular. i would like to breed them and just learn generaly about clown fish. i am 18 years old and havent been in the hobby for more than a year. my tank set up is very good. i plumbed it into my dads tank which has very good water quality. if anyone has any information for me or any hints or tips please let me know. like i said im not really in this for the money but i have a passion for fish

Guest HVF21221

Is the tank(your fathers) it is plumbed to a reef tank or fish only tank? If it is a reef tank you want to disconnect it and set it up on it's own. Getting clowns in breeding condition takes alot of food which a reef tank will not like!

Clownfishes by Wilkerson is a great starter book

Edited by HVF21221

Getting them to breed is one thing, raising the fry is another.

The fry are so small that "normal" foods are far to large for them to eat

(requiring different cultures of live food) they need a seperate tank (or will be eaten by other fish, or caught in filters) and need a great deal of attention.

Clowns are one of the easier, and more commonly bred fish. It could be lots of fun, and you could have success, you would be sure to learn loads about the fish. Just plan to do a lot of research. A book is a good idea and you can also try one of the "big" forums like reefs.org where they have sections dedicated to breeding, and more people with real experiance.

Getting them started is the hard part, but having a mature pair is a very good start. Once mine were ready they pop out a new batch every 14days. I've also trained them to lay the eggs on a small 4x4 ceramic tile, so I can easily remove the eggs to a different container to hatch.

Like mentioned above raising the fry requires extra attention. You will need a supply of rotos and also phyto to feed the roto.