Jesse's Quarantine System

(edited)

In a previous thread, I was asked to share information on my quarantine system.

I have taken the approach to keep things simple with the quarantine system.  I have two main tanks that I plan to keep running for a while.  Both are on a heavy-duty shelf from Lowes.  Each shelf holds 1000 lbs (more than enough for these tanks).  I did beef up the support under the shelves to help protect it for any water spills.

20140331-300Gallon-_D7K4595_zpsd2f0cb91.

You can see the top shelf holds some of the fish I have in quarantine and the bottom shelf holds corals.  

For the fish quarantine tank, I only have a light, hang on back filter, heater and mj1200 for circulation.  

The bottom tank I have the same, but I am running an original model Radion I upgraded to a gen3 pro for better lighting for the corals.

There is an Apex system setup to control both tanks.  

My quarantine procedure is as follows:

• Corals - currently running in a 40G breeder:
    • Quarantine for 8 weeks
    • Dip corals before putting in quaraninte
    • Monitor daily for signs of problems
    • Weekly water changes of 20% total water.
    • Dip again before putting into display tank
  • Fish - currently running in a 75G:
    • Quarantine for 4 weeks
    • Monitor Daily for signs of problems
    • Ensure they are eating well and train finicky eaters to eat frozen/prepared food
    • Weekly 50% water change.

If I put a new fish or coral in either of these tanks, it resets the clock on these times.  I do have a spare 20G Long and 40G Breeder in case I need more room.

I do not prophylactically treat my fish in quarantine, but I have no issue treating at the first sign of a problem.  

Here are a few of the pictures of the fish in the current 75 gallon quarantine.  All of these fish finished the quarantining process today.  I was fortunate all of these fish came through the process without needing any treatment.  (FWIW, these trigger fish have a great personality.  They act more like a dog than a fish.)

20140331-300Gallon-_D7K4635_zps1a61b1bd.

20140331-300Gallon-_D7K4627_zpsd8b068c6.

20140331-300Gallon-_D7K4610_zps6efdd754.

20140331-300Gallon-_D7K4623_zpsaf1ab3aa.

Edited by Jesse

Very nice!!

Thank you, very much.  It was fun to setup and gives me an excuse to keep more fish and corals!

Nice setup. Curious what your med cabinet looks like?

Hi Doug,

Thank you.

I am not sure exactly what you mean.  If you are referring to what medicine I keep in-house, well, not a lot.  I don't want to use anything if I don't have to (and I don't want to hold onto something that might go bad or expire), but I have found places online to overnight items from Mr. Saltwater Tank's very valuable guide (https://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/quarantine/).  I have also found most of the common ones in LFS around the area that I can pick up in a pinch. 

Jesse

• 2 weeks later...