Euro-Reef skimmer

VANewbie

I am new to this salt water area. I got my tank filled for 5 weeks. Now I intend to drill a hole on the bottom of the collection cup so I could put a drain hose. Doing that I will not have to take the collection cup out to pour the skimmate (This could shortern the O ring's life also). Does anyone have any advise before I break my skimmer?

Thanks

Edited by VANewbie

A bit of background -

Companies like ER, ASM, Deltec, etc. don't like to put drains on the cup for a reason - this makes you clean the cup often. A dirty cup will degrade performance.

That being said....I believe ER's are cast material (the cup???) making it fairly easy to drill. Depends on the hole size, but up 7/16 (for 1/4" NPT tap) you can use most any bit. Above that size & I'd look at using a hole saw. You can get them at most any Home Depot/Lowes.

Just a point to ponder -

O-rings are cheap (even if it did wear out), cups are not.

i agree. After a few days of crud build up in the collect cup tub and it stops working well. Don't do it

• 3 weeks later...

If you plan on taking a vacation, by all means. For everyday use, I would think twice.

Never hurts to have the option. works for me. :)

If you plan on taking a vacation, by all means.  For everyday use, I would think twice.

Never hurts to have the option.  works for me.  :)

52384[/snapback]

I agree!