best magnet for an acrylic tank

fishdrummer

hello everyone.. i troll in here for good ideas. my wife and kids are wondering when they will be able to see the fish again. wah you dont like the coralline algea?

best magnetic scraper out there for a 180 gallon acrylic tank ? or is there a better - easier way to get it off.

thanks much

Just my opinion...........but..............none, absolutely none.

I have one specifically designed for acrylic = doesn't work as advertised = micro scratches.

Coraline? Either a Kent plastic scrapper or an old credit card (collect the offer plastic ones that come in the mail).

And use care.

Just my opinion...........but..............none, absolutely none.

I have one specifically designed for acrylic = doesn't work as advertised = micro scratches.

Coraline? Either a Kent plastic scrapper or an old credit card (collect the offer plastic ones that come in the mail).

And use care.

50453[/snapback]

And how!

I have a 10gal acrylic tank and pink coraline gradually covers the sides. you cant really use a razor blade like you can with glass because it will scratch the acrylic.

i use a kent scraper, it has a plastic blade that hasn't caused any scratches yet. it is still difficult to scrape the coraline off, i have to put a lot of pressure on the scraping tool and go over the same spot until it all the coraline is removed.

David B.

Sharpening the Kent blade helps it work better. I find it dulls rather quickly - a simple swipe with some sandpaper makes it work like new.

Sharpening the Kent blade helps it work better. I find it dulls rather quickly - a simple swipe with some sandpaper makes it work like new.

50578[/snapback]

I've always been afraid to do that, concerned that I will make the edge of the scraper uneven and put even more scratches in the tank with the scraper. What grit do you use?

It's not been my experience, the plastic of the blade is softer than the acrylic of the tank. Medium, like 100 or something. I don't really sand it to a knife edge :lol: just enough to get the nick/dullness out - basically repair it to the factory type finish.

I used a Tunze magnet.... a good one and a long handle scraper with plastic blade. For the $5 for a new blade, I'd rather not put a scratch in the acrylic. There are micro finish pads that work well with a large magnet to remove those scratches, but that is very time consuming.