another set of eye's

BigBadWolf5

Looking for anyone in the DMV willing to come to my house and give me some advice....I have been reading up on things and just want some advice from a more seasoned vet. so basically im asking for some constructive criticism on my tank....please help im located in catsonsville md....

best way is to take a BUNCH of pictures but set it up with a flow so you know where to start lookign etc. that way we can give you the virtual advice...if you have problem areas you feel dont look right point them out

make a drawing of the set up, use a ruler and people make less fun of your drawing skills

example of pics/details

Main display

lighting

flow in display

plumbing out of the display - details on size etc

how the plumbing runs to the sump

flow once the water hits the sump

details on heaters, return pump, skimmer etc etc

pictures of wehre the water level in the skimmer is or pics of skimmate to see its consistency

what are your maintenance schedules (or a general gist)

last but not least, what do you want to add...most people dont have a plan when they start...i like these fish, these corals, and then things change and then the requirements may change (but the change may not be significant enough to matter)

Once you get this out of the way you can get ALOT of different views, unfortunately there is no one way to do a reef tank.

other suggestion is to get over to someone's house whose tank you REALLY like...see what they do, visit another see what they do and then make your own version.

some of the things people thinks are common sense are AMAZINGLY different than what the norm is.

That's some really great advice listed above! And you can use a ruler to draw out your setup if you want, but I've found people will still make fun of you :tongue:

• 1 month later...